Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Alternator Wiring (Please!)

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 07:55 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help With Alternator Wiring (Please!)

Hey everyone,

I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a small light to replace the alternator light in the clock. For the record, my purpose in doing this is, a) my car is primarily a race car and I'm slowly working to strip down and simplify what I can, and b) my clock stopped working some time ago so I'm hoping to just take it out altogether.

From what I can see, the alternator circuit comes into the back of the clock through pin 11, but if I connect one side of a small light source to this, and the other side to a) ground, or b) any other pin but 10, I get nothing. I have searched all of the past threads I could find, but I have yet to see anything specific on how to wire a new light. My understanding is that the light should come on with the ignition, and at start-up, then go out after a few seconds. At the moment, I'm able to get the light to illuminate connected to pins 10 and 11, but it doesn't go out after start-up.

I have spent time with the wiring diagrams in the manual, but I'm afraid I'm having a hard time making heads or tails of what's actually happening. I would greatly appreciate any input or advice from those of you more electrically inclined than I am...

Thanks in advance,

Dave
Old 04-18-2012, 03:07 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Dave ,

That alternator alarm is bogus at best. I've had my alternator go out and it came on with all the other lights just before the motor quit out in the middle of no-where. I wouldn't spend anymore time on it, especially since your clock's not working and you're making your car in race mode.

I would look a digital "battery status" meter that monitors bat voltage and lights up an LED at an adjustable setpoint.
Old 04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
DaveConn
Instructor

Mojo,

Excellent suggestion. I will look into it...

Just for the record, and maybe I'm being paranoid, but based upon a couple of recent experiences I'd say the alternator is not charging the battery when the car is running. Again, I'm no expert, but ultimately I'm wondering if the 'exciter' function of the gauge light is more relevant than I initially thought...

Thanks again. I'll keep at it.

Regards,

Dave
Old 04-23-2012, 02:59 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good luck and hope to see you two at Hastings, Dave.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:19 AM
DaveConn
Instructor

Hey Kai,

Thanks for the thought. This sucker'll be running one of these days!

Still working on the schedule, but I'd love to get back to Hastings if I can...

Hope all is well,

Dave

Quick Reply: Help With Alternator Wiring (Please!)