Sponsored by:

System Adaption with a TPC ECU - Question

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 11:07 PM
cumd20
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default System Adaption with a TPC ECU - Question

Guys - I understand (I think) the processes of system adaption and how it affects the DME - and most importantly why we should do it.

I have read on here and Pelican the different threads on adaption but could not find an answer to this particular point.

My 964 has a TPC supercharger on it and with it the TPC ECU - can anyone tell me if and how the adaption process is affected by the fact I have a SC and what I think is a piggy backed ECU?
Old 04-16-2012, 11:34 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There is no adaptation with the TPC ECU. The UniQ or older SplitSecond boxes are boosted based boxes to control the extra injector and adjust the timing. So they add gas (to the 7/8th injector) and modify (retard/advance) the timing signal before sending the timing signal to the stock DME.

The stock DME may then modify the timing (advance/retard) further or add/subtract gas to the 6 injectors further.

Does that help?
Old 04-17-2012, 12:42 AM
cumd20
Advanced

Thanks axl911 - so if I understand your response in effect you are saying there is nothing to be concerned about or no extra steps and the adaption (adaptation if we like) reset and mapping process should take place just as if the TPC SCharger and ECU was not there !

It seems like the mapping under certain scenarios of the 7th injector should be using references that are aligned with the other DME managed six for any given schedule - am I missing something here?

If the system mapping from say a Hammer sets up the DME for the six injectors - but the ECU is not set up the same way - does that not mean that settings like fuel schedule under certain conditions is going to be wrong. This for example this surely would affect Idle and acceleration ?

I may be completely off base here - and of so put it down to a learning process for me - but curiosity now has the better of me.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:18 AM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The questions you asked are very good. The unichip takes several sensors and program the fuel for the 7th injector and manipulates timing.

The way tpc set up the system is purely boost based. At idle there is no boost so the tpc doesn't do anything. But when boost is sensed, the tpc fires the 7th injector according to its own programming. The stock Dme can follow its own map and then add/subtract fuel as needed.

Same thing for timing.

If the tpc module doesn't provide timing retard (fuel is more complicated) the. The Dme will retard more. Or if the tpc retards too much the Dme can add some back.

But sometimes, the stock dme can't compensate for the tpc adding or removing too much fuel/timing, and that is why additional tuning of the uniq maps and parameters is needed.

(Edited my response to make more sense as I posted this quickly on my iphone last nite.)

Last edited by axl911; 04-17-2012 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:35 AM
cumd20
Advanced

Excellent - OK thanks got it - now I just make sure this happens on the TPC unit.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: System Adaption with a TPC ECU - Question