Sponsored by:

Suspension Hardware Setup Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Suspension Hardware Setup Questions

I had a new suspension put in a year ago (Bilsteins and Eibachs) and just noticed a couple of things I thought strange:

1) the fronts have height adjusting nuts plus jam-nuts to secure them, but the backs have just height adjusting nuts -- should there be jam nuts?

2) the height adjustment provides for about four inches of travel for the adjusting nuts, and on the left rear strut the adjusting nut is roughly mid way in the adjustment range, while on the right rear the nut is all the way at the top (save 1-2 threads) -- this represents about two inches difference -- does that seem reasonable?

Thanks,
Dave
Old 04-16-2012, 11:46 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

How does the car sit?

I just had mine done and there is 3/8" thread showing on both front sides and 1/4" thread showing on the rears. I do not have Eibach springs so this could account for much of the difference, but they are the same from side to side.
Old 04-16-2012, 01:42 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Maybe its fine. Did you have the car corner balanced after the new suspension went on?
Old 04-16-2012, 02:35 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, seems normal of an older suspension.

Yes that is how the bilsteins come, jam nuts on the front and just a single nut on the rear. It's probably because the front in a turn wheel which could allow the nut to turn when turning the wheels.

Not sure in the Eibachs but my H&Rs are both front and rear all the way at the bottom of adjustment with a slight rake.

All the weight and heat in the back makes the saggy in the rear after a while. It does seems strange that you have that much difference left to right on the rears though.

Was it balanced?
Old 04-19-2012, 11:27 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It was supposed to have been balanced.

I've measured the fenders and they are 64cm front and rear on the left and 66cm front and rear on the right. This is quite visible to the eye; now that I really look at it. The car sits higher on the right, for sure.

I've tried to measure the actual ride height, but find it difficult to determine where to measure in the rear with just a few inches clearance to get under there.

The front is 118mm left and 128mm right - 10mm difference which is twice the spec of +- 5mm and seems small in relation to the 20mm difference in the fender heights.

The rear I just can't quite figure the correct location to measure.

I'm going to bring it back in.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Suspension Hardware Setup Questions