Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side power window issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 11:48 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Driver's side power window issue SOLVED!

The power window on the driver's side has stopped working. Yesterday my son pulled the door card and we verified that the switch was working fine. We only had an hour so we buttoned everything up.

Now I see that there is a power window regulator (R22). Could this be the problem given that the passenger window works?

In Adrian's book, page 416, he mentions removing the tweeter, and inserting a torx bit to manually raise and lower the window. Has anyone reading done this? Did it solve the issue?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 993James993; 04-14-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:34 PM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

Pull a window switch from passenger's side door and try it on driver's side. Just the pop the switch out (don't do anything with the door card).

I had a situation were I thought I needed to use the torx tool from the tool kit...I quickly found out that I had the handle but not the part that fits into the window crank...I found this out after I tore a hole in the membrane...I still don't have that darn Torx piece.
Old 04-10-2012, 03:46 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Common for the motors to stick try holding the switch and tap the motor with a hammer (or something suitable) you sometimes getaway with thumping the door card to get it to work my passenger side one does this if you dont use it regularly.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:47 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GazC2
Common for the motors to stick try holding the switch and tap the motor with a hammer (or something suitable) you sometimes getaway with thumping the door card to get it to work my passenger side one does this if you dont use it regularly.

+2 used to happen on the 80's early 90's 124 series mercs with Bosch motors..good old tap with the hammer on the motor ...I normally had a 50/50 success rate

The luck of the hammer gods be with you!!
Old 04-10-2012, 05:46 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

You can also slam the door while holding the switch if you're caught out in the middle of nowhere in the rain

(Happened to me in my 964, and thankfully it worked!)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:46 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I know that the switch is not the issue and I tried hitting the door panel and holding the switch down while slamming the door. I am thankful that the window is closed and not opened!

The next step is to manually lower the window with the torx tool, provided that I have it in the tool kit. I didn't have time yesterday and it might even be the weekend before I can try this.

Edit: I do have the proper tool. The procedure is shown about halfway down on this page:

http://www.rsamerica.net/OEMinfo/toolkit/index.htm

Last edited by 993James993; 04-11-2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 12:57 PM
GazC2
Burning Brakes

James,

I would whip the door panel off and give the motor a tap, or are you hoping by winding it down this will turn the motor ?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:41 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Success!!!! I followed the procedure posted on the rsamerica.net site and lowered & raised the window manually using the tools supplied in the tool kit. After cranking the window up and down it now works fine!

This has made me immensely happy!
Old 04-15-2012, 12:05 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
Pull a window switch from passenger's side door and try it on driver's side. Just the pop the switch out (don't do anything with the door card).

I had a situation were I thought I needed to use the torx tool from the tool kit...I quickly found out that I had the handle but not the part that fits into the window crank...I found this out after I tore a hole in the membrane...I still don't have that darn Torx piece.
This could be inside your tool kit. It fits completely into the pockets. I thought I didn't have it but found it there.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

+1

Do a search. I described my experience with right side stuck motor. Original motor still working a year and a half after "breaking it loose".
Old 07-26-2018, 09:49 AM
Mike_964
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought my switch had failed on the passenger side, bought a new switch but no luck. Found this old thread and knocked the door side while holding the switch. It worked so thanks for the advice, now it works fine again. I might have to give it a whack next time the car has been parked for winter hibernation..
Old 09-10-2018, 05:48 PM
2000m2
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ChaseN
You can also slam the door while holding the switch if you're caught out in the middle of nowhere in the rain

(Happened to me in my 964, and thankfully it worked!)
This worked for me!
Because we are remodeling our house and the garage is a big mess right now, my 964 is at a friends place for the past few months, going to drive it every couple of weeks and the drivers side window stopped working. I assumed it was just upset with being outdoors under a cover. Anyway, I shut the door with my finger on the switch and, to my amazement, it lowered and, more importantly, it then went back up! This forum never ceases to amaze me.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:25 PM
KyleG50
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by Mike_964
I thought my switch had failed on the passenger side, bought a new switch but no luck. Found this old thread and knocked the door side while holding the switch. It worked so thanks for the advice, now it works fine again. I might have to give it a whack next time the car has been parked for winter hibernation..
worked for me too!!
Old 11-11-2019, 12:33 PM
Power Window Repair
Former Vendor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 993James993
The power window on the driver's side has stopped working. Yesterday my son pulled the door card and we verified that the switch was working fine. We only had an hour so we buttoned everything up.

Now I see that there is a power window regulator (R22). Could this be the problem given that the passenger window works?

In Adrian's book, page 416, he mentions removing the tweeter, and inserting a torx bit to manually raise and lower the window. Has anyone reading done this? Did it solve the issue?

Thanks in advance!
It's definitely the window motor. With time, carbon build up will accumulate around the armature. When you tap the motor or slam the door it shakes off some of that build up. Eventually you will have to actually replace the motor. When that time comes, contact us. We specialize in rebuilding Porsche window motors and regulators.

Quick Reply: Driver's side power window issue