FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Speechless.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Good luck. I know how you feel. Based on the fact that the car runs well, has had engine work, and that the pin had to be coaxed out of the drain, there is a good chance it has been there since the rebuild.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:22 AM
Andy Roe
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My bet is that the mechanic who rebuilt it dropped it in and forgot to retreive it. Could it be a pin used by the mechanic to align something or hold something in place temporarily when rebuilding it?
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 AM
HeLeven
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Speechless.
I know. It is a strange one.

Thanks again for the responses.

I guess I am hoping for someone to say:

"I know exactly what that it. It is the XXXXXX and is very easy to replace".
Old 04-05-2012, 11:30 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 415 Likes on 233 Posts

I certainly hope the pin is a random item that's been resting near the case drain for years (and that you're fine).

On the other hand, I wonder how many times mechanics have grabbed a random part from a coffee tin of old engine parts and declared that it came from a client's engine. You know, when business is slow...

Andreas
Old 04-05-2012, 01:42 PM
HeLeven
AutoX

Hi Andreas.

While I understand your cynicism, there are any number of lies that a mechanic could tell a guy like me* that I would believe. Also, this guy is always busy.

*very little mechanical knowledge
Old 04-05-2012, 05:15 PM
anto1150
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cosmos99
Looks like the pin for the distributor ring gear..

that one is much smaller
Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

I think it is very revealing that the forum and all of its hands-on experts haven't come up with a definitive identification. Makes it likely to be an alien item I would bet.
Old 04-06-2012, 06:15 AM
HeLeven
AutoX

Originally Posted by John Boggiano
I think it is very revealing that the forum and all of its hands-on experts haven't come up with a definitive identification. Makes it likely to be an alien item I would bet.
Hi John.
I am also surprised that no-one recognises the pin. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I really hope it is an "alien item".

Either way, I am grateful for the responses.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-06-2012, 09:41 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by HeLeven
I have owned the car for 2.5 years ... but it has been (and always was) running beautifully.
are you considering to leave the pin out of the engine and just keep driving the car?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:33 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HeLeven
Hi John.
I am also surprised that no-one recognises the pin. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing. I really hope it is an "alien item".

Either way, I am grateful for the responses.

Thanks everyone.
Check this out:

Originally Posted by james944
Hi guys,

I need a little help figuring out what's with my transmission. It's never given my any problems. Drives and shifts fine, but the car was in for a valve adjustment / tune up this week and when my mechanic removed the drain plug to change the gear oil the part below was attached to the magnet. It's a 5 x 14 mm steel cylinder with rounded edges. From looking at the PET it may be a shifting detent, but measurements for these are not listed so that's really a blind guess. Anyone familiar with the G50 know what it is or how it could have come loose without tearing up the transmission?

Thanks,
James

I would have posted earlier but couldn't find it until now. Notice how beautifully machined the pin is. We were able to locate this pin on the PET. If the pin from your car does not show this level of machining I would think that it is likely a foreign object.

In the end we just drove the car.

Full thread is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...any-ideas.html

Last edited by 993James993; 04-06-2012 at 11:27 AM.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Alan G.
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Thats what I was thinking.

I just had my engine apart from an oil pump coupler failure. I had the old pump apart. That sure looks like about the right size. A can't remember anything else in the engine that looks like that.

It seems that it would be about impossible to come out of pump housing without an extreme pump failure. Very strange indeed. Good luck! [

QUOTE=JasonAndreas;9419940]There are two pins on the oil pump that kinda look like that. Have your mechanic stick a boroscope in the oil drain hole to take a look. A piece of the timing chain mechanism would never make it that far and remain in that condition.[/QUOTE]
Old 04-07-2012, 12:00 AM
bordin34
Pro

Very similar looking to a big-block mopar fuel pump pushrod.
Old 04-07-2012, 12:19 AM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Looking at the pic below, at the visible locating pin on the pump, I would have to agree with Jason. I'm not sure the pins are in a blind or open hole.......

Anyway, I would be comfortable to continue to drive the car if it was indeed one of the pins.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:51 PM
HeLeven
AutoX

Originally Posted by sml
are you considering to leave the pin out of the engine and just keep driving the car?
This is the dilemma. As there are no other issues with the car, I am very reluctant to have the engine opened. However, if I knew that the pin belonged in the engine, I would of course reinstate it to its correct location. I am leaning towards thinking that this piece has been loose in there for a long time and I should consider myself lucky that it is now out.

Originally Posted by 993James993
Check this out:
I would have posted earlier but couldn't find it until now. Notice how beautifully machined the pin is. We were able to locate this pin on the PET. If the pin from your car does not show this level of machining I would think that it is likely a foreign object.

In the end we just drove the car.

Full thread is here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...any-ideas.html
Thank you for posting this. I hadn’t seen the PET before. There is no chance of me recognising the pin but perhaps my mechanic could. I assume he is already familiar with it.

Originally Posted by mojorizing
Looking at the pic below, at the visible locating pin on the pump, I would have to agree with Jason. I'm not sure the pins are in a blind or open hole.......

Anyway, I would be comfortable to continue to drive the car if it was indeed one of the pins.
Thank you. I will pass this on.

Quick Reply: This fell out of my engine