Sponsored by:

Impressions Needed: H&R Street Performance Coil Over

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 02:13 AM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Impressions Needed: H&R Street Performance Coil Over

Due to a very strict budget and a lot of other expenditures going on, I'm going to be realistic and find a solution in the sub-$2000 price range. With that said, I'd still like to meet my main criteria of price, good range in height adjustment, and significantly higher-than-stock spring rate (50% street/50% track).

Rather than add another "which suspension do you recommend" thread, as I've read all of them and I'm more confused than ever, I'll try to be more specific. If nothing else, I think this forum could use a thread with subjective data on the H&R Street Performance Coil Over. Please excuse me if this isn't the proper name, but that's what they call it on Shox.com. So that's my reasoning and background. Sorry, I'm a suspension noob, so be nice please.

1. Just making sure I have the right kit. Using the chart I found on Rennlist, is this the one with the 500f/780r spring rates? Seems quite high and I can't find any info to back that up at the moment. It doesn't list the part number, but on Shox.com the product details are listed as follows:
PHP Code:
045. H&R Street Performance Coil Over    1989 1994    Part # 29580-1, 29580-2, 29835-1 Fits C2/C4 All Including RS America. Lowers 1.0"-1.7" F&R    1912.00 
2. Could you please give me your personal impressions of the quality of the hardware (any broken, wrong parts, missing parts?) and support (if applicable)?

3. I'm not sure exactly what ride height I'm going to settle with, but I'd like to have the ability to flirt with RS height. With 18" wheels, will this be possible with this kit?

4. Finally, could you give me your personal impression of how your car feels now with this suspension installed?

Thanks a ton!
Old 03-30-2012, 02:58 AM
geordie
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Er ...

No experience of that particular kit but I would definitely give Steve Weiner at Rennsport a call to discuss (503.244.0990).

http://rennsportsystems.com/model/96...64-suspension/

Steve has a wealth of knowledge with just about everything out there from the "classic" H&R springs (green or red aka turbo)/Bilstein HD shocks combo to the latest all singing and dancing MCS system (as installed on KaiB's "Claudia").

From your comments, I'd take a deep breath and spend a little more on a Bilstein PSS10 or KW v3 coilover set up.

Last edited by geordie; 03-30-2012 at 03:26 AM. Reason: caps lock schtick
Old 03-30-2012, 03:17 AM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Or

http://www.zenaracing.com/products.p...%7D4-89%252d03

Sold under the Silvers brand elsewhere I believe

No idea what theyer like, but they are the lowest priced coil over option AFAIK
Old 03-30-2012, 04:57 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have these coilovers on my C4 and have found them to be spot on (for my own needs that is).

They have a good level of height adjustment however they have no damping adjustment.

I bought mine for £1200 GBP imported from Germany at a time when KW 3s were £1800 - 1900 GBP.

Quality is very good and ride is firm but not uncomfortable.

HTH!

Chris
Old 03-30-2012, 05:01 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

You can go very low with the kit too, BTW. My car on the photo below has the coils wound about half way down I think:

Chris
Old 03-30-2012, 06:56 AM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please give Steve a call.

There are a raft of guys here with experience, and a veritable wealth of on-line information, but Weiner can (and will) cut through the mud for you and will never steer you wrong.

One size does NOT fit all in these situations.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Gents - I already gave Steve a call a bit over a month ago. He spent about 30 minutes on the phone with me. At the time, with a much higher expected budget, he recommended the Bilstein PSS10. Great guy. I think in going to call him back eventually.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:51 AM
deutschland-dobson
Three Wheelin'

To be honest the H&R Street and the Bilstein PSS10 are two totally different products.

One is an outstanding product for track use. The other as the name suggests is for getting your car low and improving basic handling on the street. Hense price difference I suppose (PSS's are twice the price of the H&Rs here in the UK!).

Chris
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Ok guys, I appreciate the thoughts on other setups. However, I created this thread to gather information/impressions on the H&R Street Performance Coil Over. Hence the title and very informative original post. I won't be able to check this again until tonight, so one last push in the right direction. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:45 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

EDIT: I read your original post--again. I can't answer your specific question in reference to the H&R performance street. I removed my post.

Last edited by ja78911sc; 03-30-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-30-2012, 11:10 AM
moacur
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 38 Posts

I have the H&R Street coils on my turbo and absolutely love them. The handling and ride on these are great. They are very well made. If I had to do it again, I would get the H&R's in a heartbeat
Old 03-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I think the spring rates you are quoting are possibly H&R supercup series or a very stiff track setup.

The H&R Coilover street spring rates are 250-285 front and 265-285 rear. They are progressive.

I had them on my car before and found them a real compromise on the track (even when my car was 50-50 track-street before). On street they were much better than stock.

All hardware was fine, I easily got to RS height, but did not need support from H&R so can not comment on that.

Marc
Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 AM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Thanks for the comments from the folks with this suspension. However, I'm still not sure about my first question. Maybe this chart will help. Which one are we referring to (see attached chart below)? I went into this thread thinking it was the second from the bottom with almost the same exact name, but I have a feeling it isn't.
Attached Images  
Old 03-31-2012, 02:31 AM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I remember that chart and it has several errors.

If you read the thread it originally came from here, I supplied the spring rates for the H&R Performance Street springs but he entered them in the chart wrong. Many of the other spring rates are also questionable.

Coincidentally, the listed non-progressive springs of 500/780 are what I currently have on a custom set of JIC's and would be way too stiff for a street car (they are also non-progressive, unlike the H&R Performance Streets that are progressive).

Marc
Old 03-31-2012, 11:20 AM
MrNvgtr
Instructor

Marc - Thanks, I wish we could all simultaneously delete that chart from the internet then. Those spring rates you posted for this setup are too low for what I'm looking for. Yep, I think I'm just going to call the expert (Steve) again on this stuff. This time I have a significantly smaller budget and hopefully I'll get some more excellent advice. Qu. 1 is something we can't be subjective about and can't take a chance without knowing.

deutschland-dobson - Sweet looking car. The color, suspension, and wheels are perfect IMO.

Thanks for your input anyhow.

Quick Reply: Impressions Needed: H&R Street Performance Coil Over