Sponsored by:

Airbox Holes

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 10:20 AM
r15suk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Airbox Holes

OK i know that drilling holes in the airbox is done for sound and not performace (i have race cans on my motorbikes purely for sound :-) ), but are there any downsides to doing this.

Also where do i drill them and what size?

Cheers
Simon
Old 03-26-2012, 10:43 AM
jamest
Instructor

The only downside I can think of is that you are likely to fail noise tests at trackdays, for this reason I took the cone filter off that a previous owner fitted to my car. Also, if you change your mind and want to go back to an undrilled cover, buying a new box is expensive!
Old 03-26-2012, 10:47 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 431 Likes on 279 Posts

I'm sure that if you ask around - someone with holes that doesnt want the holes will trade with you...

I wish you were in the states - I'd trade for my holed box cover. I'd love to see what the difference is. Mine was drilled when I got it.
Old 03-26-2012, 10:56 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 486 Likes on 279 Posts

^^^^^
That's the biggest negative....you or the next buyer might perfer a stock air box cover.

Appearance aside, there are few negatives about the noise.

Mine has been drilled for a couple of years so I can't compare to stock anymore, but the level is subdued (but slightly louder) at part throttle. A holed air box cover is definitely a lot louder at full throttle or above 4,000 RPM. Sounds like a roar!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:32 PM
RobertF
Intermediate

My car is completely stock and I've never heard the drilled air cover before. Is the increased sound only in the cabin or does it also change the sound at the tail pipe. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM
LouZ
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Philly Area ----- George Washington took a dump in my backyard!
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by r15suk

Cheers
Simon
There is a pattern of squares on the cover, drill the holes in each of the "complete" squares to the diameter within the square.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:37 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

OK i know that drilling holes in the airbox is done for sound and not performace (i have race cans on my motorbikes purely for sound :-) ), but are there any downsides to doing this.

Cheers
Simon
Hi Simon,

While I'm unable to address this modification on other vehicles, I can tell you that adding 5-6, 2" holes to the airbox cover is worth 2-3 BHP.

While not noticeable, its certainly measurable in back-to-back dyno testing so IMHO, its worthwhile doing in the pursuit of more performance.

Sounds nice, too.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Take the front cover off and duct tape the air filter on and drive it and see if you like it. Make sure the seal is good on the edges to keep sand from getting in.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:08 PM
bw-porsche
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

One answer to your query would be to look out for a drilled airbox on ebay as I did. So now I have both drilled and stock airboxes. I can recommend using the drilled one for a better, deeper roar! Good luck. Brian.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:26 PM
r15suk
Instructor

Originally Posted by jamest
The only downside I can think of is that you are likely to fail noise tests at trackdays, for this reason I took the cone filter off that a previous owner fitted to my car. Also, if you change your mind and want to go back to an undrilled cover, buying a new box is expensive!
Originally Posted by bw-porsche
One answer to your query would be to look out for a drilled airbox on ebay as I did. So now I have both drilled and stock airboxes. I can recommend using the drilled one for a better, deeper roar! Good luck. Brian.
When i got the car, i got another undrilled airbox with it so i'm sorted on that front :-)

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Hi Simon,

While I'm unable to address this modification on other vehicles, I can tell you that adding 5-6, 2" holes to the airbox cover is worth 2-3 BHP.

While not noticeable, its certainly measurable in back-to-back dyno testing so IMHO, its worthwhile doing in the pursuit of more performance.

Sounds nice, too.
Great, good news all round :-) :-)

Cheers
Simon
Old 03-26-2012, 07:09 PM
911URGE
Rennlist Member

Received 104 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bw-porsche
+1

I recommend having both. The second complete airbox cost me me maybe $75US. The only downside is I tend to "gas" it a little more to hear the nicer engine sound.
Old 03-26-2012, 07:15 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

RobertF: Beware of tempation. What the hell is another 2-3 Hp. unless you're a racer?
Old 03-26-2012, 07:52 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's what I did on mine...

Old 03-26-2012, 08:37 PM
BGLeduc
Rennlist Member

Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Babalouie
Here's what I did on mine...

Likewise. I liked that look better than the Swiss cheese look of the holes. Call it a poor man's Cup air box cover.

And I will echo what others have said...it sounds fantastic when you dip your right toe into the happy zone.

Brian
Old 03-27-2012, 09:39 AM
martin964
Intermediate

Cheers
Simon
Hello Simon,

I have a drillled airbox I would like to change for a non drilled one! I am in oxford too so just up the road ;-) can you hang fire and maybe we could meet up to see if a swop would save both of us some time and effort??

regards

Martin

p.s. have pm'd you my contact number so drop me a txt if a possible swop is of interest.

Quick Reply: Airbox Holes