HELP! Appbiz RS Carpet over tunnel section

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 01:48 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HELP! Appbiz RS Carpet over tunnel section

Hi All,

I've searched here, there, and everywhere for this answer. It looks like at least two others got stuck exactly where I am.

I have three mystery pieces in my kit, two of which I believe are the pieces for the transmission tunnel/center console area. Here they are.

I think (?) the first one with the little leatherette patch on the lower left bottom goes on the front side of the tunnel, but I cannot see how the piece could be asymmetrical.

HELP!

Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 11:19 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Kept digging, and found a useful thread..

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-foru...install-4.html

RS carpet in, with a minimum of casualties....amazing how different the car sounds with a layer of "felt" (that's what my 5 year old daughter called the RS carpet after examining a piece...LOL) in the interior. Probably the best couple of pound investment I've made in the car yet!
Old 03-26-2012, 04:41 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go over to dcAutomotive.com and plug in 911 1989-1994, you'll find diagrams of "you name it", including carpet pieces.
Old 03-26-2012, 04:44 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also, go to the page that shows the part that that piece covers, and you'll see that it too, is unsymmetrical.
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

Great tip! Thanks, Jody
Old 03-28-2012, 03:25 PM
2002M3Drew
Burning Brakes

The center console area really had me screwed up. The front section is the large piece that is assymmetrical, and includes a leatherette patch towards the one corner. This piece, as some have mentioned, may simply be cut in half to put the carpet on either side of the console. There is a lot of extra carpet when you do this. The reason why this is one piece is because some may opt to do without the console pieces and just carpet over the whole section. Most don't, though. When you make the cut, start in the middle of the back of the piece (the end that is symmetrical) because the other end is different for each side. (This is what messed me up, in fact...couldn't figure out how that could be the console piece.) Make sure if you cut it in half, after you glue each side to the tunnel side, not to trim the carpet too closely to the top edge! (I made this mistake.) You have to have some overlap, so leave it about a half inch higher than the top of the console before cutting.

The 3M spray glue really works well. Spray on both the carpet piece AND the car where you are installing. Wait a couple of minutes, and then stick together. Bonds and holds well!

Quick Reply: HELP! Appbiz RS Carpet over tunnel section