Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 Speedster OEM Radio Unit Q

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2012, 07:21 PM
cumd20
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a CR-1 Unit to replace the aftermarket one in it - this link below will explain some of the confusion on what this car was shipped with originally.

https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...errerid=111627

We have had terrible weather in Seattle so far so it has not been out much - I took it to the local P dealership to show one of our friends there and down to get it registered the reaction was special - lots of pics taken - next time I will get a shave before I go out

For a lot of the purists I think you will have to see this up close to love it - I personally think this is a huge improvement on the standard 1993-94 964 speedster model given it did not have the wide body etc. The lights are the part that everyone hums and aaahhhs about until they see them and without exception folks end to like them.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:01 AM
hamah
Pro

While I do like the look I still prefer stock. Good thing we all have our own tastes though or it would be a pretty boring world.

What I don't understand is why you would have any interest in putting a stock stereo back in this car? This car is as far from stock as you can pretty much get while still calling it a Porsche (even then some would not). Of all the improvements you might want to make, or the last thing you might want to put back as stock, the crappy sound system is it (for me at least).

I can see wanting to get hold of one of those CD-1 in case you ever wanted to go back to stock (I did) but in your case a return to stock is really not an option.

What is the motivation to do this?
Old 04-01-2012, 02:15 PM
cumd20
Advanced

Talking

Hamah - you are right, personal preferences are under rated and under prioritized in our world. Actually it is the difference in preferences and the discussion around it that is worth the airtime - not the fact that the differences exist.

So having said that - as I have said elsewhere on here - I find it very easy to like or love more than one thing without it becoming competitive or conflicting for another. I also like uniqueness or rarity - so put those things together I find it very easy to bias to a factory strosek 964 speedster without that meaning I do not love the look and shape of the stock unit - though for me it would be closer if the stock car had wide body versions in 93-94. Just saying .

The head unit - if you have followed this car history article on here you will know the PO minus 2 had some things done that frankly I do not think add to the car. The carbon inserts on the dash, and the radio being just a couple. I think the green, blue and gold lighted head unit is just plain out of place in this car so i want to take it out and rather than buy another new unit I would rather put the money to a Stock Unit. Frankly this misfit issue applies to the carbon dash and the head unit - I think they look out of place and simply think they have not added anything to form or fucntion - especially as 90% of the time i cannot hear the radio play anyway.

So for me returning the interior at least closer to stock has merit - that is for me��. At the moment there is a 993 center console loaded with a Bluetooth, iPod player integration, sd card, sat radio, navigation. I may well take that out also as I have all of the original console parts - but I will wait for that decision as frankly the job is very well done and looks surprisingly good.

Anyway - as you asked that is the reason I would like to spend a $100 or so getting the head unit back to stock.

And I still like the stock 964 speedsters

Last edited by cumd20; 04-01-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 Speedster OEM Radio Unit Q