Sponsored by:

Indicator / cruise / OBC switch unit repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 06:14 PM
P964C2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indicator / cruise / OBC switch unit repair

Well my indicator stalk has broken internally, a common problem.

I bought a used unit on Ebay intending to swap over the stalks. I did this on another 964 a couple of years ago successfully, the main problem it seems to me is the breakdown of lubrication internally and maybe forcing of the stalks. Careful cleaning with WD40 and greasing with Castrol LM of the rebuilt unit was the key to producing a good repaired unit.

However, my C2 Coupe has cruise and an OBC. I thought I could just unbolt the OBC and cruise stalks from the old main switch unit, and bolt them to the "new" one.

Anyone who knows what I am talking about will know this is not possible in the case of the cruise switch, which is not entirely seperate, and needs 2 or 3 rivets drilling out.

My question is this: if I drill out the rivets on the cruise switch, can I remove the switch internals and put them in the "new" unit without having to remove the metal top plate (by drilling out all the rivets) of the old and new main switch units?

It looks like the metal top plate has to come off - but I'd rather avoid it. Please can anyone advise?

Quick Reply: Indicator / cruise / OBC switch unit repair