Sponsored by:

Cab/Targa Wind noise / door seal

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:35 AM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Cab/Targa Wind noise / door seal

My 91 Cab would get drafty on the highway, specifically at this spot in the first photo.

I figured it must be the door seal. For Cabs and Targas the (LHD) driver's door seal part number is 911-531-095-40.

Old seal was real easy to pull out, the tedious part was removing all the adhesive. I used "Ooops" with a paint brush to get the Ooops in the door seal channel, then a rag to wipe it all off. This was the longest part of the job.
I laid the old seal out on the floor in the correct orientation.

Note the circle on the laid out old seal. In this area lower front, the seal feels stiffer, like it is reinforced inside. Mark where this reinforcement starts and ends on your old seal while still on the car so you can line up these marks with the new seal.
Attached Images       

Last edited by Laker; 03-14-2012 at 11:52 AM.
Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 AM
Laker
Drifting

When the channel was free of Oops and adhesive, I ran a thin bead of this adhesive along the channel.

I also removed this plastic kick part, to allow for better access to the channel. It slides right off/on.
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2012, 11:43 AM
Laker
Drifting

Now that the new adhesive bead has been put down, simply work the seal into the channel all around.
I started at the rear and worked my way forward. After the seal has been fit into the channel, snip off any excess and fit the ends into the trim pieces.
Slide the kick piece back on.
This adhesive cleans up with simple green and water on the car and Orange Pumice soap on your hands.
Attached Images   
Old 03-14-2012, 08:31 PM
-nick
Three Wheelin'

Received 106 Likes on 81 Posts

And did this solve the wind noise? I replaced my door seals a few years ago but still have a leak in that exact location...
Old 03-15-2012, 12:49 PM
Laker
Drifting

Just back from a 70 mph highway trip.
It solved the draft. Before, I could put my hand over the spot where the door meets the dash and feel a breeze. Now I have to stick a wet finger in there to feel anything. Same as the passenger side.

I still have the noise, seems to be coming from behind the VIN tag on the A pillar.

Quick Reply: Cab/Targa Wind noise / door seal