Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad Vibration Damper Question.

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 12:03 PM
D.C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad Vibration Damper Question.

My 91 - 964 front brakes are due for some maintenance, and on dissassambly of the front brakes, I noticed something unexpected.

There are no vibration dampers installed on any of the pistons, there are however some fiber pads glued to the back of the existing brake pads.
I ordered replacement Textar brand pads (which appear to have the same fiber pads glued to them), as well as new OEM rotors, and wear sensors.

My question is t, are the fiber pads glued to the back of the brake pad sufficient to eliminate the squeeking, or do I need to install the 36 and 40 mm vibration dampers as well. It seems odd that I would need both, but I was hoping that someone here could provide guidance.

Thanks in advance

By the way, this car is used a driver, no track use, and the existing front pads just started squeeling in the last 1000 miles. It is quite irritating and I need to assure the problem is eliminted. I have done a search, and read all I could find on the subject.

Dave
Old 03-04-2012, 12:16 PM
Pesty
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My Car has not had the vibration dampers for years.

The last pads I used had a kind of metal shim glued on the back of them. I just smeared a bit of copper grease on those.

No squeeling.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 PM
D.C.
Instructor

Thanks Pesty,

I do have some Wurth copper paste in stock, but the 964 shop manual (section 46-2) says....

"Pad Backplates (Backs of brake pads) must not be lubricated with grease"

I am not all that big on adhearing to rules, but that statement does concern me.

The manual does go on to say...

"In order to prevent siezure of brake pads in the brake calipers due to corrosion, give the seating and guiding surfaces a thin coat of grease."

This statement appears to be referring to the edges of the pads that slide into the caliper.

Dave
Old 03-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

No vibration dampers on my RSA and no squealing. Not sure about my turbo because it has the original brake pads. To get rid of the squealing you need to bed your brakes. The procedure is described here:

Bedding your brakes

No need to lubricate anything. Here is a description:

Changing Brake Pads
Old 03-07-2012, 10:12 AM
D.C.
Instructor

Frank,

Thanks for the links, I plan to install the new pads without the 36 and 40mm dampers and see what happens.

I will report back.

Thanks

Dave

Quick Reply: Brake pad Vibration Damper Question.