Sponsored by:

Upgrading 1992 964 C2 flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 04:09 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
This can create some stalling issues unless the engine is in good health with a fresh tune-up and a clean ISV.
and a proper system adaptation with the bosch hammer.
Old 03-06-2012, 04:23 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
really...?
Old 03-06-2012, 04:57 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
it looks like you believe the myth of the 'spirited drive' system adaptation crap .........
https://rennlist.com/forums/8153039-post16.html
https://rennlist.com/forums/5372271-post15.html

you should try a bosch hammer adaptation. the real thing is great.

mythbusters even did a segment on the myth of the spirited drive system adaptation for a 964 and they confirmed the myth was busted.
I don't believe any myths and know nothing about those threads. I also did not mention anything about adaption or spirited drives. I just gave my real world experiences which for your information I chanced upon when driving on a very cold and damp day recently and needed everything on to de-mist the car. By coincidence it did not stall that day when the engine was cold. So I've tried it a few times since then with varying degrees of success.

If I had been talking about adaption, I would have only had to do it once. It's not adaption, it's something that helps while the engine is cold. So, please take your axe and grind it elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:44 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

In your previous posts which I linked above, you believe in the spirited drive myth.
In this thread, you mentioned your car stalled.
I suggest you try a real DME adaptation with the bosch hammer and post results.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 PM
Shamus964
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

RS setup here, and not a moment's regret - seriously changes the demeanor of the car. It's much more alive now.

I also did a SW chip upgrade when I went with the LWF.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:00 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
mythbusters even did a segment on the myth of the spirited drive system adaptation for a 964 and they confirmed the myth was busted.
Link please
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM
Marc Shaw
Super Duper Moderator
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
Yes, link please.

I could not find any such segment listed here nor here.

Marc
Old 03-06-2012, 07:34 PM
Makmov
Drifting

It's just nonsense.

Nevertheless, a 964 DME doesn't learn past a baseline setting, and a spirited drive does nothing more than sooth the soul.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:58 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by sml
In your previous posts which I linked above, you believe in the spirited drive myth.
In this thread, you mentioned your car stalled.
I suggest you try a real DME adaptation with the bosch hammer and post results.
Neither of those links has anything to do with the LWF being discussed here. Both refer to the DME reset procedure that is found in the DIY section which again has nothing to do with a LWF or stalling. They're about erratic idle and I even mention that a Hammer is probably better than trying the basic reset.

Yes I said my car now stalls with the LWF but only when the engine is COLD. It is a minor annoyance for the first 10 minutes of the drive. I posted how I 'manage' it a the moment but I know how it could be solved:

1. Get an RS DME (which is almost impossible to find and would be very expensive). Or;
2. Get an off the shelf chip (but I'm a little dubious of those because I've heard they can lead to the response that the LWF has given the throttle getting dulled down). Or;
3. Get a live re-map from a recognized Porsche tuner (I'm considering this)

A Hammer won't do anything because it can't change the mapping in the DME to pick up the faster drop of the revs that occurs with a LWF. You need one of the three options above to do that.

So, no I won't be taking your advice of putting a Hammer on it or posting the results. If you feel so strongly that the DME reset procedure in the DIY section is a myth I suggest you badger a moderator about it (seeing as it was written by someone else).
Old 03-06-2012, 08:00 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Steve, SML is always right, I thought yew knew that...
Old 03-06-2012, 08:26 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by boxsey911
I won't be taking your advice of putting a Hammer on it or posting the results.
I struggled for almost a year with a dodgy idle and occassional stall with a steve wong chip but no LWF.

If my idle was screwed without a LWF, imagine the outcome with a LWF.

Worse when cold, but slightly better when warm (although still an occassional stall).

Finally resolved with the bosch hammer adaptation.

I dont see the harm in giving it a shot .. a 5 min process. Anyway just a suggestion. Not sure if it will resolve the problem, but i can confirm that the spirited drive adaptation is a myth unfortunately.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:55 PM
92C2Targa#119
Rennlist Member

Default Adaptation

I use the ecufix interface and the scantool4 software for adaptation. I have the DWF and SW chip. No stalling here.
Old 03-07-2012, 01:20 AM
1990-964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had an RS LWF for about 3 years and have no stalling issues. Other than the conversion parts I did nothing else and have no regrets. Except for some low speed gear clatter it is a great upgrade. Driveability is very good and it does wake up the car a bit but nothing like the feeling of 50 extra hp that some led me to believe.
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 AM
RSAErick
Burning Brakes

Received 41 Likes on 1 Post

I've had mixed results with my RS flywheel. At times I've struggled with stalling issues, which is very frustrating. And more frustrating than I would have ever imagined. But last year, my stalling issues were significantly improved for unknown reasons. I'm not convinced that the stallikng issues are behind me permanently, but I'm really, really hoping that they are!

As for performance, I believe that the throttle response is noticeably improved. However, I tend to agree with 1990-964 - the difference isn't night-and-day.

For a 100% street car, I'd recommend staying with the DMF. However, if it were me, I probably wouldn't take my advice...

Good luck!
Old 03-07-2012, 06:39 AM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
I suffered the erratic idle..searching & stalling. My mechanic took all of 5 minutes to adapt with the hammer (bosch) and now it idles absolutely perfect and maintains 800rpm....what a joy.

Quick Reply: Upgrading 1992 964 C2 flywheel