beware fellow rennlisters/ dodgy used cars salesmen

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2012, 12:45 PM
swaini
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down beware fellow rennlisters/ dodgy used cars salesmen

dear all,
first, id like to thank al the rennlister that read and replied to my posts regarding a rennfax and also regarding advice ...i would like to bring to your attention the unprofessional conduct of a Mr. Robert Neal from a Victory Motor cars in Houston Texas. we've been looking for a clean 964 targa and thought we found what we were looking for in the form of an amazon green 1993 targa 2. the advertisement mentioned that the car was in perfect condition.
we started talking to above named dealer, who i have to say, at the beginning was patient and agreed to a ppi.
got the details of an indy of the PCA chapter in Texas. the ppi went on according to plan, but Mr Neal mentioned nothing but the fact that he's happy with a ppi and that'll give him enough time to SERVICE the car..
Mr Neal forgot to tell us that (amazingly on the ppi day) he can't locate the security wheel nut opener( so the ppi couldn't be completed)... forgot to mention that the targa roof is so out of condition, the front bumper was damaged, bleached, badly resprayed....
in all honesty, i don't expect any 20 year old car to be pristine but this was something else, i also don't have a problem with the price as it the sellers right to put whatever price he thinks...
Mr Neal sent me a long email insulting the mechanic, will not return the deposit, and is even taunting and trying to punish us by saying he has what we want but WILL NOT, CANNOT sell it to us after all this BS! paying a deposit, being very civilized about it and asking for a PPI is BS now a days.
i really want to report this gy to some authority, i will with ebay, PCA.
i will post pics of the car if this is allowed and any is 1 interested and you people can judge.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 PM
swaini
Instructor

this is the link to the car....

http://victory-motorcars.ebizautos.c...d-8332567.html

pls all, have a look, and if any one wants to see the car in real life, lemme know and ill post some interesting pics...
bl....y photoshop.
Old 02-25-2012, 12:50 PM
MICHAELWWW
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Outside of DME scan threads , these are my favorite
Old 02-25-2012, 01:03 PM
NJ_93_C2
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is how you truly feel, you can file a complaint to the Better Business Bureau (BBB). The entire process is online. https://www.bbb.org/consumer-complai...nt/get-started
Old 02-25-2012, 01:20 PM
cornerhans
Instructor

MICHAELWWW, that guy in your avatar looks amazingly like Paul Sr. without the mustache.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:43 PM
Merle
Racer

What was the asking price?
Old 02-25-2012, 02:22 PM
swaini
Instructor

goofballdeluxe, i was trying to do my homework and you are right, although i read positive reviews from rennlisters too, but he is a fraud. i didn't buy the car thankfully.
and i will check out the bbb complaint procedure.
Old 02-25-2012, 02:23 PM
swaini
Instructor

asking price $29k
Old 02-25-2012, 03:02 PM
PNine64
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

"Mr Neal forgot to tell us that (amazingly on the ppi day) he can't locate the security wheel nut opener( so the ppi couldn't be completed)"

-Purchase and deposit should have hinged on a clean PPI. It doesn't appear that you were allowed to perform a PPI. You should be entitled to your deposit back.

"forgot to mention that the targa roof is so out of condition, the front bumper was damaged, bleached, badly resprayed...."

-Product was misrepresented so any agreements made based on the information provided should be null and void. You should be entitled to your deposit back.

"Mr Neal sent me a long email insulting the mechanic, will not return the deposit, and is even taunting and trying to punish us by saying he has what we want but WILL NOT, CANNOT sell it to us after all this BS!"

-Well, if they can't sell you the car "after all this BS" then you should be entitled to your deposit back.

"paying a deposit, being very civilized about it and asking for a PPI is BS now a days."

I don't know what you mean by this. I believe it is far from BS and works out well for many folks. I fully intend to follow this process for all future vehicles (as I intend to focus only on late model used car purchases). From the pics of the Targa, it looked sharp. Please note that some guys on here have an amazing ability to identify flaws from posted pics. I am not one of those.

From an alternate point of view: I will say that Targa tops are something that are liable to need a little love after all of these years. The front bumper is also something that catches (figuratively and literally) a bunch of crap. I can fully understand why this might have been resprayed. Depending on one's point of view this could be a good or bad thing. The quality of repaint and bleached comments can be subjective. The cost of fixing this fault...and the Targa top...could have simply been negotiating points. Remember, this is by and large a math equation at this point so don't get emotional. Used car salesmen are used car salesmen...only trust yourself. PPIs are highly recommended right? They are still just a data point though as they can be wrong too (even if done by a good Indy). In the end, this might still be a viable car...just a candidate for additional negotiations after a full PPI is performed.

Good luck with the search. I really hope you find something that meets all of your expectations.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:35 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

I don't feel comfortable giving advice to folks that I don't know, however, I did take the time to gently warn you about these guys. I have had two short conversations with this dealership while looking for my first Carrera; the salesman tolerated my basic questions in the beginning of the interview, but when I started asking more educated Porsche specific questions, he became very short and seemed to direct the conversation toward excusing himself from the conversation. That was enough for me to move on! Dealers are always looking for the fast buck! There are many beautiful P cars out there owned buy Porsche enthusiasts that know their cars inside and out and consider it a pleasure to comply with the buyer's needs. These are the guys I want to due business with when searching for my next Porsche! I hope you do everything you can to get your money back! This is another point and case why dealers have such a bad reputation! The good ones are far and few between! Best of luck!!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:38 PM
Laguna Seca
Instructor

PS...
For $29k, you should be able to find one hell of a nice 964!
Best regards
Old 02-25-2012, 03:47 PM
Merle
Racer

It almost seems to me that they were stonewalling your mechanic that was going to perform the ppi. Maybe they are trying to hide something. Either way, it sounds like typical sleazy used car salesman tactics.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:38 PM
f3nr15
Racer

A front bumper respray (for stone chips?) and perished targa top aren't so bad if the remainder of the PPI was acceptable, and might be points for price negotiation.

What did the PPI reveal about the mechanical condition (despite not being able to remove the wheels)?

I can completely understand you being pissed off about the initial misrepresentation by the dealer. He has broken your trust at the very outset, and should be working hard to regain your confidence and interest if the car is actually the real-deal.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:43 PM
doubleurx
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about TX, but in CA they legally cannot keep a deposit.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:49 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,647 Likes on 1,673 Posts

File suit in small claims court for your deposit, any expenses & fees, and your time. You will win.

I went to their "showroom" once when I had a few hours to kill in Houston. After reading about them, I never considered them again.

Quick Reply: beware fellow rennlisters/ dodgy used cars salesmen