Custom (aka homemade) HID Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:43 AM
kos11-12
Three Wheelin'

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Thanks for sharing , very clever mod !
Maybe painted in silver or dark silver,
Actually those are not so expensive ....compare to the Hellas Bi Xenon...
Old 03-11-2013, 12:14 PM
xeps
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had looked at the retrofitsource stuff before and just wasn't confident in which projectors to get, etc..

Nice that someone figured it all out. Another project to add to the list...
Old 06-16-2013, 04:03 PM
pete917
Advanced

I know this is an old thread, but I have just stumbled upon it. I think the results look awesome. I have a 74-89 shape 911 coupe. I know yours was a 964.

Are the bucket sizes similar. I definitely want to do a project like this, but I am trying to do it without cutting any holes in the headlight bucket.

Many thanks
Old 12-17-2013, 02:50 PM
Porschekalle
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that looks amazing, I did a similar mod back in the days, but will go by that yours has a cleaner look.
Thanks for sharing
Old 02-03-2014, 07:18 PM
jakekooser
2nd Gear

nugatory1 I think I am missing something. I also have H5 lights on my 86 and I bought a set of the Morimoto d2s mini projectors from the retrofit source. I would like to do my headlights like yours but I am not understanding how you mounted the piece you made from the flashing with the aluminum to the H5 bracket, it's not clear in the photos. Also, how is the glass being held? I did not get that exact lens, although I may now that I see and like it better, but my lens is from a VW beetle headlight and it's not fluted at the top. My H5 rings don't fit over the glass and I also don't see how you're keeping it from falling out.

I know this is an old post, but can you help me out?
Old 02-04-2014, 01:40 AM
STUARTQ
Three Wheelin'

Jake, Nugatory hasn't posted on here for almost 2 years, I suspect you won't get you're answer.

Thats a shame because it looks like he was quite handy! He did a great job on the head light conversion.
Old 02-08-2014, 09:32 PM
jakekooser
2nd Gear

stuartq,

that is a shame, because I could have possibly saved some loot doing it with my existing H5's. I'm about to 'win' a set of H4's from ebay and then I'll do it the same way others have documented on this forum and others. Probably have a friend of mine make me some cones out of aluminum as he works with the stuff all day.

thanks for the input.
Old 02-09-2014, 12:19 AM
HiWind
Race Car

Received 47 Likes on 26 Posts

Would like to see what you make jake
Old 02-09-2014, 01:12 AM
BHCfarkas
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Now your car looks like Johnny 5.
Old 02-10-2014, 02:35 PM
nugatory1
Track Day

There is still some interest on this mod – so here is some more information.

To answer some questions:
Any flickering?
No flicker of any lights at all. I added a relay kit so the headlight switch just activates the relays and the lights run straight (fused) off the battery. Interesting to here the issues with d-zug in terms of warning lights . I think this may be due to not adding a relay kit. The running current with bi-xenon is very low, but igniting the light takes a bit of oomph. Everything I read stated that a relay kit was required.

More mount info?
I made a mounting plate that sits in the H5 adjusting bucket. It is held to the bucket from the rear with a plate (B) and a washer (A) that are bolted to the mounting plate. The “custom bucket” is mounted to the plate with 3 brackets (C). The bi-xenon projector was screwed to the big hole in the center of the mounting plate. Finally the lens was adhered to the “custom bucket” with butyl windscreen sealant (sticky stuff). I was a little concerned that the lens was only held on by adhesive, but the adhesive is very good and the painted rings around the headlights that mount to the car also wouldn’t let them fall out.

Bucket size?
I bought the smallest projectors I could find and they were still a tight fit in the 964 headlight bucket. I am not sure if earlier cars had a similar sized bucket.

I am currently changing up the colors – decided the car looks too wide eyed. Also, there is an issue of having too good of a light cutoff (see image in first post). Road signs such as stop signs don’t light up if there is no light to reflect. I am adding a LED strip that should give some ambient light that should correct this.

So… I will have an update to this, but my car had an engine event (more on that later as well) so this has not been my top priority.

Nugatory
Old 04-12-2014, 10:25 PM
JV44HeinzBar
Intermediate

Originally Posted by John Rygg
Great job with the Mod . I am impressed.
I would love better lights on my 964. the black looks great when it is out of the car.
but I am on the fence if I like it on the 964. makes it a bit bug eyed. I think I would try a body color or a silver. Or maybe even a light grey ??

It could just be that i am used to a full headlight look on the 964.
But it is nice work anyway you look at it.

Would love to see how you mounted it and some more information on the roof flashing that you used.

Thanks for posting
+1

HB
Old 08-10-2014, 05:56 PM
Ds1
Instructor

I think I'm going to attempt something similar to this after being at an air-cooled VW-Porsche show today and realized I actually like the look of those VW lenses better than the H4 lenses. I think I'm going to go LED though... I'll post when something happens

It will be MUCH cheaper than a H4 pair to replace my Sugar Scoops, anyway...

Quick Reply: Custom (aka homemade) HID Bi-Xenon Projector Headlights