Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone know anything about this 964 RS racecar?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 06:36 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Car was at the dyno getting tuned today. Things are looking great.

Numbers and details to follow...
Old 01-19-2015, 09:54 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

The car made 312hp, 273lb/ft at the wheels on a Mustang dyno which usually show about 10% less than a dynojet. This gives an estimated 375hp at the flywheel. I'm pretty ecstatic. I'll get some video and a plot posted this week.

Big props to Cody Forbes at Black Forest Racing in Denver, NC for helping me resurrect this patient. I plan on having it at the PCA Zone 2 DE at VIR in March. Hope to see some others there.
Attached Images  
Old 03-05-2015, 05:05 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Weather cooperating, the car will have its first outing tomorrow at CMP driven by Cody Forbes of Black Forest Racing. I can't say enough good things about him, he has been AWESOME to work with and he's a nice guy on top of it! It's supposed to be fairly cold but I hope the shakedown goes off without any major events.

If everything checks out, I'll be taking the Car to the PCA Zone 2 DE @VIR March 13-15. Stop by and say hi if you're going!
Old 03-05-2015, 06:58 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

Congrats Preston on getting her back where she belongs - on the track. Be sure to post video of it.

Just watched your last YouTube vid - that engine is badass!
Old 03-06-2015, 10:17 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

Originally Posted by xfhfjfgh
I sent guy an email on car when first hit market never heard back. I think it was for sale before, maybe same guy. It's either a steal or a piece of junk.
Phil
Well it's definitely not a piece of junk. But it definitely has been needy. The body was in decent, but not excellent condition. The suspension and brakes were fine. The fuel cell is old but we inspected it thoroughly and it was in great condition. Electrics are good, but we haven't figured out the ABS yet -- the warning light has always been on and the most obvious checks haven't turned up the problem. The engine, as you can see from previous pages, has been rebuilt in the past and there was some debris that was found upon the first oil change I performed.

I was talking to Cody last night, and had some bad news. While performing a final oil change before taking the car to CMP today, he found this:

Yes, more bits of metal that definitely shouldn't be there.

We had guessed earlier in this saga that the metal that was initially found looked like a timing gear tooth. I removed the chain covers and thoroughly inspected everything, and there was no damage. None.

Well, this looks like a timing gear pin that has been mangled. Hard to explain why the timing gear system looks good but there is what appears to be a mechanically rearranged pin in the sump. Soooo very disappointing but there is probably nothing smart left to do but tear things apart and make sure nothing is wrong on the inside. It's the only intelligent thing to do.
Old 03-06-2015, 10:39 AM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

SO SORRY, Preston. After all you've done with the old girl.

FWIW, I keep my ABS switched off. It gets in the way.

(Should you find you want, or need, ABS - I'm yanking my entire system soon)
Old 03-06-2015, 11:05 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

It's OK, I knew this was a long journey.

We'll live with ABS off for awhile, then if we want it we will consider Teves or Bosch motorsport systems. I know the 964 ABS kind of sucked anyway. Not sure what the differences were for the RSR version, but it is definitely still 3 channel.
Old 03-06-2015, 03:52 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Guys are definitely in turbo mode for the teardown. Here's the long block already:

964/993 RSR long block
Old 03-06-2015, 04:55 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

Valve train and cams disassembled, looking good besides some not awesome valve adjustments. What doesn't look so hot is the right side cam sprocket. It has machined itself down a LOT. Here's a picture of mine (left) and another one from another motor with 100k on it. It looks fresh by comparison.

Determined cause: cam sprocket and intermediate shaft sprocket not aligned properly in the same plane during previous engine assembly. Good this was found now, as losing a tooth would definitely be catastrophic.

Old 03-06-2015, 05:57 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

And here we have the main carnage. Intermediate shaft drive gear is toast.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:11 PM
preston_brown
Instructor

So the one thing we are wondering about for reassembly is what is the deal with the flame rings / head gaskets on the heads. Here are some pictures:

These aren't stock. From what I've been told stock ones sit in / fill two grooves: one on the head side, and one on the cylinder side. These are different; they fit into the head groove, but the cylinder side is flat. Any idea who makes them?

Last edited by preston_brown; 03-06-2015 at 09:55 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 09:28 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

Of course the real $10,000 question is why there was an extra timing pin / dowel bouncing around inside the case? We will never know, but I wouldn't be surprised if it got dropped into the case by someone during the previous rebuild, and they either (a) didn't see it happen, or (b) made a mental note to fish it out later but never did and forgot about it. Whatever the case, damage was done.

Looks like we got away with a completely trashed intermediate shaft (well, the shaft is fine but the sprockets and gears aren't, and you can't buy the gear separate from the shaft); right side chain and sprocket; and bearings. Will have a final report today and then I need to try to source parts ASAP, I have plans for this car!
Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

More damage. For some reason 3 valves have mushroomed a bit at the stem end, and the rocker feet are also slightly damaged. What might cause this? Loose valve adjustment that went unfixed for too long?

Mushroomed valve stem

Normal valve stem

Last edited by preston_brown; 03-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:05 AM
preston_brown
Instructor

While the engine is apart, we are taking the time to clean, measure and check everything. If we can source new valves in time, it may still be possible to make it to VIR next weekend.

Case halves ultrasonically cleaned

More parts cleaned up

Making everything as clean as possible

My engine tin is in pretty sorry shape. If we can't make VIR we are going to get it powdercoated. Otherwise it will still get a slight makeover, even if the paint comes out of a rattle can.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:11 AM
Carrera51
Rennlist Member

Received 218 Likes on 132 Posts

Looks like you caught what could have been a major failure before it happened. I hope you can get it back together in time for Zone 2 at VIR. Looking forward to seeing the car back on the track.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about this 964 RS racecar?