Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Front pads & rotors changed, now dragging.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 01:54 PM
UnSafe
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front pads & rotors changed, now dragging.

Replaced my worn front pads and rotors with OEM new. Now dragging lightly at times (Can turn wheels by hand with mild pad drag noise when on lift), and very noticeable when driving home last night (Could feel the car stick when rolling up to stop lights, and could feel resistance when letting off the gas during shifts). Don't want to trash the new parts, so I'll be pulling everything apart tomorrow.

I've read the posts about sticking pistons, swelling hoses and bleeding the system, but wonder if it's just an issue of the pistons being forced in deeper because of the new pads/ rotors, and it needing the pistons to be advanced out to their old position (carefully- using scrap Aluminum plate or wood blocks to limit travel) and cleaning the exposed portions with Alcohol?

It's worked on my Harley, but not sure if it's worth the time to do it, reassemble and test drive vs. biting the bullet and overhauling the system (Hoses, piston kit, flush & bleed).
Old 02-18-2012, 03:08 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you have to force the new brake pads in? If so, that's a sign of caliper plate lift stopping the pads returning.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:58 AM
UnSafe
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Steve, you called it!
Apparently a bit of corrosion pushing the spring plate/ caliper plates out enough to contact the slightly oversized pad backing plates (Generic OEM [Wagner] pads have poorly die cut backing plates without finished edges, about 1-1.5mm wider than the pads I removed). I scrounged around and found a 3.5mm allen wrench, got them off, cleaned with a wire brush and reassembled. I cleaned up the backing plate edges with a sanding wheel on my angle grinder, put the whole mess back together twice and all is well again.

Quick Reply: Front pads & rotors changed, now dragging.