Sponsored by:

OT sort of - mild rant.

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT sort of - mild rant.

As you might hasve noticed I decided (reluctantly) to sell my 90 C2 and after posting the AD here on Rennlist I recieved no less than 25 emails and 15 phone calls.

This seemed very encouraging and I spent most of ny day answering call, sending pics all of which tied up most of my day. Many seemed interested and needed a lot of information about what a 964 is, does and condition etc.

Most of the folks I spoke with were willing to arrange a drive and "look at" and I even offered to arrange times whether conviemt for me or not.

I tend to think of myself as curtious and even if not interested will at least call that person as a matter of course.......not a word form anyone...even the ones with extreme interest and 10 call involved.

Maybe it's just me....trusting inconsiderrate people who I expect a bit more of...a nice thank you"but not interested would be nice.
Attached Images     

Last edited by alanp; 02-18-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:13 PM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Something about cars for sale brings out the doubtless-unintentional thoughtlessly inconsiderate in people.
Old 02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
alanp
Instructor

I Suppose you're right John...just can't wrap my brain around some folks and their intentions. Well, tomorrow is gonna be nice & sunny so "aircoll" and I are going to have a blast on the PA twissties )
Old 02-16-2012, 03:29 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Sorry to here that and sad to hear that attitude and lack of courtesy came from Rennlisters of all people?
Old 02-16-2012, 04:04 PM
fuch
Rennlist Member

When I have to sell my car/work vans I always give them to a sales guy I know in the trade and give him a few ££££ to sell them for me as the amount of time wasting num, nuts out there is scary....I feel your pain alanp....
Old 02-16-2012, 04:11 PM
ray stobbs
Racer

must be 996ers got no sence
Old 02-16-2012, 04:41 PM
alanp
Instructor

Ray, at least I didn;t have to go the entire diatribe of that IMS thing!...I'd still be on the phone
Old 02-16-2012, 05:11 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

unfortunately, whether private party or used car lot, the prospects often treat both the same as the latter. GLWS
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alanp
As you might hasve noticed I decided (reluctantly) to sell my 90 C2 and after posting the AD here on Rennlist I recieved no less than 25 emails and 15 phone calls.

This seemed very encouraging and I spent most of ny day answering call, sending pics all of which tied up most of my day. Many seemed interested and needed a lot of information about what a 964 is, does and condition etc.

Most of the folks I spoke with were willing to arrange a drive and "look at" and I even offered to arrange times whether conviemt for me or not.

I tend to think of myself as curtious and even if not interested will at least call that person as a matter of course.......not a word form anyone...even the ones with extreme interest and 10 call involved.

Maybe it's just me....trusting inconsiderrate people who I expect a bit more of...a nice thank you"but not interested would be nice.

buyers are liars

need to be up front frank and qualify your propects before wasting time with strokes.

You must be being too nice with people.

It does sound like you have a nice car, and I would be one of those considerate people that would tell you if I wasn't intersted in your car and for XYZ specific reason.

On the flip side, I am always looking for Porsches, and I have talked to many people that haven a clue about the car they are selling, first mistake, and the second is to make the car better than it really is.

I can tell you that after talking with someone and looking at there car there have only be less than 5% I would consider buying. Largely, because people are not honest about what they are selling or know nothing about what they are selling.

Be sure to have answers for any questions about car that can come up. I like to talk to someone who actually knows something about something.

And be honest about it, but always offset what is bad with what is good. There are no perfect used cars out there, and there got to be something not quiet right. Almost 98% of the time when I ask someone what the car needs I get, "nothing, it's good. I talked to someone and saw the pictures of there car with a busted tail light and they told me there was absolutely nothing wrong with there car.

It's a tough gig.

Last edited by Makmov; 02-16-2012 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:21 PM
User 040621
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 49 Posts

Keep your chin up. It sure looks to be a very nice car. Once you find the right buyer looking for good value, instead of the mooch looking to rip it, you'll know it.

I considered selling mine last year. Similar to you: Advertised. Responded. Emails, pictures. Low ball offers. Then crickets. Holidays arrived and I pulled the car, and decided to keep it. The phone started ringing again.

Buyers are liars. Why do you think car sales people generally have bad reps? Dealing with buyers requires that fire is fought with fire.

Good luck with the sale! Remember - you have one of <2500 964 coupes originally sold in the states. It's rare, it's dialed in, and it's the best color!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
scott watkins
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're not in sales are you?

GLWS!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:24 PM
Makmov
Drifting

some car sales people deserve the bad rep but most are just doing a brutel job the best they know how.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by scott watkins
You're not in sales are you?

GLWS!
Clearly not.
Old 02-16-2012, 05:55 PM
alanp
Instructor

I agree it is a tough gig Macmov but I disclosed everything about the car & even pics of the 22K invoice for engine rebuild etc., the no rust & only issue being slightly faded seats. Even being as honest as I can yet some hung up with a doubt that I was holding something back......I just don't get it but do realize that I need to toughen up as stated above.

Buyers see the negative with no evedence (sp) and consider the positives as oever exasgerations (sp)

By the way ...I own a harware store so I guess sales is in my blood but not to this degree.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Makmov
Drifting

they aint no gettin' it. It is just the way it is, no reasons, no explainations, no books or manuals and no fixing it.

And I am not saying you did anything wrong my comments were far more generalized than specific to your sale.

Furthermore, a Porsche 911... it just takes a special person to buy one. Someone will find your car and fall in love with it. It just takes time.

There is nothing wrong with some other market avenues either.

Quick Reply: OT sort of - mild rant.