Sponsored by:

Chunk of piston ring found in engine oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:38 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My comment: "+1, it doesn't take much to clog an oil spray hole."
was in response to Makmov's "you just cannot account for all the tiniest pieces"

I didn't mean it had to be the actual ring chunk. If the spray holes are supplied with clean oil directly from the filter, then how do they ever clog?

Last edited by Laker; 02-18-2012 at 10:52 PM. Reason: :D
Old 02-17-2012, 09:37 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Makmov
I understand the oil flow of a air cooled 911, but according to Indy there is no way anything can get back into the engine because it has to pass the filter first, which I agree, looks fine on paper.

But who in their right mind would guarentee that?

The other question, unless I missed it, did this piece come from: the case or the tank?

There has to be some small ground up cylinder and piston material. No way the ring can get past without significant damage to those other componets, furthermore, at 85% leakdown it's got major issues. Even with only one ring on the piston in good shape it shouldn't leak that much.
+1. It happens.
I work for a well known auto manufacturer. In my previous job assignment in an engine manufacturing plant I was in charge of analyzing engines that were returned from the field. On this particular engine architecture, the oil was circulated in the same way as a 911 engine. Say for example a rod bearing spun. The shrapnel from that failure would rip through the paper filter and wipe out the whole engine; main bearings rod bearings and cam bearings.
Saw a few broken rings and those destroyed the cylinder bore that they came out of.
So, in my experience, any loose metal traveling around in an engine was bad news. As for the engine that is the subject of this thread, it will be easy to do a progressive teardown and diagnose how much internal damage was done. However, as I stated earlier, if there is any fine aluminum particles in that oil all bets are off.
Old 02-18-2012, 09:22 AM
Arrowhead
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After coming back and reading your guys debate, there is a theroy. There is an oil bypass valve buit into modern day engines. I remember years ago (40's) there were no filters and then I remember when filters came out there was a bypass valve built into the filter housing and now the bypass valve is built into the filter. What the bypass valve does is to make sure the pressure will not exceed a predetermined amount. This can happen when fine material in high amounts clogs the filter. Now, weather larger media can then be entered into the system, I dont know. I just thought I would through this out there.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
The shrapnel from that failure would rip through the paper filter and wipe out the whole engine; main bearings rod bearings and cam bearings.
So on top of a broken ring you have to have a broken oil filter for a bit of a ring to get to a oil squirter ?

mshobe , has the oil filter been opened up for a look see ?

Last edited by Indycam; 02-18-2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:38 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The other question, unless I missed it, did this piece come from: the case or the tank?
It was reported to be big enough to get a part number off of . That would say that it was found in the case . To big to get sucked past the oil screen , to big to have gone though the scavenging pump .
To big to have gotten past the filter . To big to have gotten past the oil pump .
Old 02-18-2012, 02:50 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Laker
If the spray holes are supplied with clean oil directly from the filter, then how do they ever clog? (Rhetorical question, you don't have to jump down my throat, unless that makes you feel better)
The pump itself can lose metal . The rubber hose can suffer damage and end up in the oil down stream from the filter . Oil can build up deposits that flake off down stream of the filter . Gasket / gasket sealer can enter the oil stream , corrosion from "wet" oil can enter the oil flow down stream of the filter . I can see a bunch of ways for an oil squirter getting clogged .
But getting a bit of a ring from the cylinder to the oil squirter is more than a little difficult .
Old 02-18-2012, 03:00 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
The shrapnel from that failure would rip through the paper filter and wipe out the whole engine; main bearings rod bearings and cam bearings.
Originally Posted by mshobe
This trip called for flush-and-fill on the hydraulic pump and valve adjustment.

When they drained the oil to facilitate the valve work, they found a chunk of piston ring from a single piston in the drainage.

...and the car has run flawlessly since then. I didn't really notice the loss of power, but I also don't drive this car very often.
This isn't a wiped engine , he reports it was running "flawlessly" and "didn't really notice the loss of power".
Old 02-18-2012, 03:04 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
Now you are just trying to cover up . Lay out how a bit of a ring get to an oil squirter or simple say you do not know of any way . Don't give another non answer answer . Don't evade .
You guys know all oil filters have bypass valves these days, right? It's quite common for them to be wide open during a cold start because the thick oil can't move through the media as easily as thin warm oil.
Old 02-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
You guys know all oil filters have bypass valves these days, right? It's quite common for them to be wide open during a cold start because the thick oil can't move through the media as easily as thin warm oil.
No I don't know that . Got a link ?
Old 02-18-2012, 04:03 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

http://www.mahle.com/C12570B3006C0D4...JNLCY916STULEN

"A pressure relief valve guarantees the oil supply under all conditions – for viscous oil encountered during cold starts or at low temperatures, for extremely contaminated filter elements, or when the replacement intervals have been exceeded"

Come to think of it, I did actually know about the valve, as Arrowhead said but thought it only opened when the filter was totally clogged from over-extended use, which would never happen to anyone here....

Good call on the cold start FeralComprehension. Not saying this is what happened, we have no idea, just that it is possible.

Last edited by Laker; 02-18-2012 at 10:51 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:19 PM
Makmov
Drifting

I believe the bypass valve, well I know there is one in the motor itself, which means you don't need one in the filter. I am not sure if there is one in the filter or not, but there is also a t-stat in the houseing, I think it just might bypass the filter on cold starts.

That is all I was saying, too. There are all kinds of possiblities. Would I bet my life on anyone of them, No!

Furthermore, I still don't see Indy making any promises or guarentees.

Do whatever you need to do, but I stand behind my original comments.

And I don't know if you ever just broke a ring to break a ring on some white paper. They are very hard and brittle and you get some big peices, smaller, a tiny peices and some dust, which is cast iron with a moly coating - most likely.

There is no way to account for all the peices and particals.
Old 02-18-2012, 07:27 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

That says it can happen not that it is "quite common" . Its rare . If the oil gets near or below its pore point , until then the oil gets filtered in the normal manner . Its very bad for the valve to open up , everything is set up so that valve never opens up .
The Mobil 1 0/40 has a pour point of -47°C -53F
Brad Penn 20/50 has a pour point of -36C -33F
Old 02-18-2012, 07:31 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

I believe the bypass valve, well I know there is one in the motor itself, which means you don't need one in the filter.
The two different valves do two different jobs . The one in the filter makes sure that the oil is not choked off from flow because of a plugged up filter . The valve in the case will "blow open" at a psi , that limits the psi . They do not do the same job .

which means you don't need one in the filter. I am not sure if there is one in the filter or not, but there is also a t-stat in the houseing, I think it just might bypass the filter on cold starts.
Its this sort of statement that leads to my questioning you .
Old 02-18-2012, 08:10 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Makmov and Indycam are two of the most valuable guys here on the forum.

Hopefully this is just a hearty debate .. please make sure you dont get annoyed and never come back to the forum again
Old 02-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by Indycam
The two different valves do two different jobs . The one in the filter makes sure that the oil is not choked off from flow because of a plugged up filter . The valve in the case will "blow open" at a psi , that limits the psi . They do not do the same job .

Its this sort of statement that leads to my questioning you .
Are you sure. I am looking at a 930 107 764 00 Porsche genuine Oil filter and I am not seeing a valve in it.

I was always under the impression that there was one in the case or the filter, and you just need one and it was in one or the other place.

I was also under the impression there was a t-stat in the oil filter console. I could be wrong on that though.

Quick Reply: Chunk of piston ring found in engine oil