Sponsored by:

Top Gear drives the mighty Singer 911

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 01:06 AM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobaines
It is a reference from a car Rob built years ago on which he used a lexan grill. The build was featured in Excellence. Singer #1 was a tribute to that car in color as well.
http://ll.speedhunters.com/u/f/eagam...77%20copy2.jpg

Old 02-08-2012, 09:33 AM
ALEX P
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ah, fair enough. Lexan grill doesn't float my boat and actually looks quite restrictive in the Speedhunters car, less so on the Singer but what do I know.

Wheels are beautiful though - no arguments there.
Old 12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
911Jetta
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 278 Posts

During a recent Pistonheads visit, the boys at Singer mentioned a lightweight version is coming... with air jacks.

(from Pistonheads) "..."I shouldn't really be telling you this," giggles Rob, Maz smirking as they describe plans for a super trick, super light weight car under consideration and explaining an earlier reference to titanium wheel hubs and other components for a forthcoming project. "It's going to be so over the top, properly nutty stuff. It'll be extreme but you'll be able to use it on the road." There's talk of an all-up weight of less than 1,000kg (around 200kg less than the standard car) and a seriously hopped up motor too. Anything else? "Um... it'll have air jacks." And then they look at each other and clam up."

Can't wait to see what they come up with?!

That said, I still think the Robert "Lightweight" Linton edition would be the absolute ultimate Singer. Here's a copy of his previous comments about the subject...

Originally Posted by 911Jetta
ha, ha. so true.

...After I win the Loto, I'll have Rob create a lightweight RS version (no sunroof, no power seats, no radio).

I know the Singer car is already very lightweight (carbon panels, etc.)...
To really take it over the top, I'll beg Robert Linton to get involved and have them collaborate with some parts from the America GS 3.8 Hardtop Roadster.

I was recently rereading some old GS 3.8 threads, when I started wondering how light would a street/track coupe weigh? Then I found this quote:

Robert L says:

Humpty Dumpty is a 2 wheel drive Tiptronic Cabriolet. It has steel doors and fenders, two seats, air conditioning, high power stereo including a graphic equalizer, very full leather interior, door panels with storage compartments, a specially made (to also fit with the removable hardtop with electric sunroof and heated rear window) by Porsche AG roll bar covered in leather (which could be replaced by carbon fiber but I like the original factory piece), standard Porsche safety glass windshield and windows, etc., etc. (including two ashtrays -- one in each door -- I do not smoke but someone at Porsche AG thought it was a good idea). In other words, as Herr Singer said the last time he saw it, "it's a car".

Current weight is below 2200 lbs (1000 kg). I cannot say how far below that it will go but we are in the final months of reducing rear weight, e.g., engine, transmission and torque converter. As to the brake calipers, they were built to accommodate and currently have 26 mm thick pads installed (in case, in theory, one ever had to do a 24 hour race and wanted to minimalize and possibly eliminate pad changes). If one reduced the pads to 18 mm or less as with most street cars, this would yield a several pound savings overall.

Finally, if one removed all of the luxury features, changed steel body panels to carbon fiber (it does have a carbon hood to show what a first class carbon component looks like), removed one seat and changed the other to a carbon fiber race seat, changed to plastic windows, gutted the car as per a club or, even more drastic, a real race car, changed to a manual transmission, removed the muffler and heater boxes, etc., etc., it would weigh below 1650 lbs (750 kg)."

Quick Reply: Top Gear drives the mighty Singer 911