Sponsored by:

ABS/PDAS VALVE RELAY FAULT

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 PM
napaul
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ABS/PDAS VALVE RELAY FAULT

So i received my abs controler back today after sending it to uk to be rebuilt due to corroded pins and fault codes for lateral and longitudnal acceleration sensor short circuit and line break that i could not get rid of.
Here is what i have done since it was sent out.I have replaced the battery with new interstate,replaced ground cable for battery,cleaned 55 pin connector.When i plugged it in today and started the car sadly my light on the dash for abs and pdas still remained in with warning buzzer.So i hooked up scan tool and no longer have the fault codes for the acceleration sensor but got fault 34 fault condition 13 valve relay.
Can anybody offfer some insight for the cause of this is it the relays on the hydraulic unit requiring replacement ?
Is there any way of testing if these are faulty before replacing?

If i clear the fault with scan tool and start the car it returns immediately.

i have trried searching but nothing that answers my questions.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:10 AM
napaul
Racer

one other observation while going through adrian"s book for trouble shooting he mentions i should have 12 vdc at pins 1&2 at the connector plugged in and ignition on with just the connector cover pulled up out of the way to test and i do not have 12 vdc.
Also i am a little confused as to the procedure for testing the abs hydraulic unit could someone clarify what to do or why i don't have 12v at dual solenoid connector?
Old 02-07-2012, 12:00 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not knowing the background of why it needed rebuilding, but did you check/replace other common areas that cause PDAS faults like the coils, distributor caps and spark plug leads. Leaks in the high voltage circuitry seem to affect the PDAS/ABS system as far as warning lights.
You're in Edmonton, right? I might have a spare ABS unit in my parts bin...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
napaul
Racer

hi frank thanks for chiming in.Back ground for rebuilding the controler was that when the issue first arose last summer i got fault codes for accelerometer line break/short circuit on lateral and longitudnal.so when i removed 55 pin connector i found a few corroded pins and 1 broken off.so i sent it out to be repaired.as for replacing the other stuff you mentioned i have not replaced.I have though in the dark misted the leads in engine bay to look for arcing and saw none. I would like to try plugging my controler into someone else's car to rule it out as the cause you interested? or let me try a known good one in my car.
Let me ask you what are the chances the relay on the hydraulic unit requires replacement?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
campoj2
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pull the 5 pin & 7 pin ABS hydraulic relays and clean them the place they sit. Disconnect the battery before you start this process. I bet this will fix your problem.

I think my 964 threw that code and I replaced the 7 pin relay and cleaned the 5 pin and I haven't had a problem since.
Old 02-08-2012, 10:11 AM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it only happens when the engine is running do a search for "christmas tree" (seriously!) in this forum. It's a common problem.
My last Xmas tree problem was resolved by changing distributor caps. The old ones were all carbon tracked and corroded on the outside - the insides looked brand new.

Quick Reply: ABS/PDAS VALVE RELAY FAULT