Sponsored by:

Drivers side key lock won't unlock doors

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 01:04 AM
UnSafe
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drivers side key lock won't unlock doors

Just getting to know out new (To us) '91 964 C4 Cab, and replaced the dead central locking controller. Unknown how long it's been since the locks have been worked up/down. Now the locks and alarm work, but the drivers door key lock wouldn't unlock the doors. It raises the little door lock button, but not enough for the door to unlock. The inside rotary switch works up and down, the console switch locks correctly and on the passenger side, the inside and key lock controls work fine, unlocking and locking both doors.

I came inside and searched well over 100 threads, but none seemed to be exactly the same fault as mine. Before posting, I went back out in the dark, put a tiny spray of penetrating oil into the key opening and worked the key back and forth, and on one of many turns it unlocked the door. Not sure if it was the lube, repetitive attempts or what, but it only worked once.

So, an intermittant DSD key unlock fault. Microswitch, out of adjustment actuator, microswitch, crusty mechanism, ??

Any ideas appreciated.

Still waiting on my Bentley book...
Old 02-05-2012, 09:55 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by UnSafe
Just getting to know out new (To us) '91 964 C4 Cab, and replaced the dead central locking controller. Unknown how long it's been since the locks have been worked up/down. Now the locks and alarm work, but the drivers door key lock wouldn't unlock the doors. It raises the little door lock button, but not enough for the door to unlock. The inside rotary switch works up and down, the console switch locks correctly and on the passenger side, the inside and key lock controls work fine, unlocking and locking both doors.

I came inside and searched well over 100 threads, but none seemed to be exactly the same fault as mine. Before posting, I went back out in the dark, put a tiny spray of penetrating oil into the key opening and worked the key back and forth, and on one of many turns it unlocked the door. Not sure if it was the lube, repetitive attempts or what, but it only worked once.

So, an intermittant DSD key unlock fault. Microswitch, out of adjustment actuator, microswitch, crusty mechanism, ??

Any ideas appreciated.

Still waiting on my Bentley book...

Same problem. I've not been able to resolve it. Did everything but the central controller. Are you sure you installed a good controller?
Old 02-05-2012, 11:22 AM
911porschefan
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a similar issue I had with mine and I will try to explain in the best detail I can, its been a while since I fixed it. Mine had to do with the actual lock cylinder, where the microswitch attaches to unlocking the door and telling the alarm to deactivate. Inside the lock cylinder there is a small rubber o-ring like sleeve. It is ridged and flicks the microswitch. Mine was missing and I have yet to find a replacement for it. May just need to buy an old lock and take that piece. I resolved my issue by taking the piece from the passenger side and putting on the driver side, since I use that door the most. Not very courteous when with the wife, since I open my door first and just get in.

You may be lucky as you said you fumbled with the locks and it opened once so it may just be misaligned or something. Hope this helps.
Old 02-05-2012, 02:41 PM
UnSafe
7th Gear

At work today, but will take a closer look at the lock tomorrow. When working the key back and forth, I noticed a bit of increased friction and extra travel at the limit of rotation in the counterclockwise direction. Makes me wonder if the cylinder is slipping/ rotating. More head scratching in the morning.....

Not sure about the controller. Seems to work, unlike the completely dead one I pulled out. Unsure if a single function would be inop, while others work fine.

I'm thankful that one of the larger Porsche salvage yards is nearby in Moore, OK. It saved my wallet several times with my old 911T.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:39 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Does the key work on the passenger side? How worn is the key? Do you have a second key and does it behave the same?

It's a long shot but having a new key cut might solve your issue. Ilco makes a key blank and you should be able to get a key cut at a good locksmith for $5 or less. You won't find this key blank at Home Depot or Ace Hardware. My original key sometimes binds up in the drivers side door. I had a key cut (from the original key) and it works great. I would try this before taking your door apart. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Drivers side key lock won't unlock doors