Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHEAP - Brand new replica Big Reds...

Old 02-06-2012, 02:06 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsey911
If there's going to be a worry at the back of your mind that you've made a bad decision by buying non Porsche/Brembo, you're better off buying the real thing:

993 turbo calipers

OK they will work out at nearly twice the price but at least you know that you've got the genuine article. Alternatively you could hold out for some second hand ones but from my experience, even with normal calipers, the additional cost of refurbing used ones (they always need it) puts the final price up near the cost of new ones.
Yeah I've found that when costing up 2nd hands. Thanks Steve.

Originally Posted by freedman

Even if they are made in China, they're not knock off's pretending to be something they're not
You're right 'knock offs' was the wrong word - my mistake.

I guess there are debates both ways. I just think that even though the risks may end up being so small the consequences are just too big.

I'll call up Type911 while I'm contemplating all this!

Thanks again
Old 02-06-2012, 02:11 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its hard to buy stuff that NOT made in china these days. I think as freedman says I'd be happy to fit them to my car wherever they're from, its just a big chunk of aluminium, pretty hard to cockup especially since their copying an existing design. You see the odd brake failure story, some quite nasty, but I've never heard of the caliper as the root cause. It would be interesting to know if they are TUV approved for sale in Germany as that would be a very good indicator or quality/safety. I known the Design Tek springs are.

Its not unusual for big traders to quietly have their "own brand" - it had occurred to me that Design Tek were Design 911's brand.

BTW when it comes to adapters Ninemeister may be able to sort you out with the right adapter for whatever discs and calipers you go for in the end.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:23 PM
cuse92
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, D911 bought the DesignTek brand a few years ago (I think 2008) and took it "in-house".

As I understand it, at least some of the products DesignTek markets are manufactured by others and re-branded as DesignTek. That is why the manufacturing locations vary. There was a thread on here somewhere that suggested that their exhaust systems were manufactured by another major manufacturer in Germany (maybe cargraphic? I can't remember) and re-branded.

I used to buy a lot of kit off from them for my 996 and 997. Everything I bought there was pretty good quality-wise except that the baffles in one of the sports mufflers/silencers on the 997 collapsed (after I sold the car on), and some aftermarket alloy wheels - which as I recall were made in Italy - started pitting very quickly.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:25 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by alexjc4
It would be interesting to know if they are TUV approved for sale in Germany as that would be a very good indicator or quality/safety.

BTW when it comes to adapters Ninemeister may be able to sort you out with the right adapter for whatever discs and calipers you go for in the end.
Alex

That's brilliant. If it's TUV certified then I'm game.

Apparently:

TUV certification involves rigorous testing of the applications for which the component is designed. It includes verification that the device satisfies the strictest European regulations for the industry in which the component was designed for and ensures the component specifications are stated correctly. Periodic retesting of the component is required to maintain TUV approval and the certification is without question the most comprehensive testing any product would undergo.

If this is the case then I'm game.

Thanks for the 9M info!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:10 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexjc4
If you ring 9M, you'll probably get Peter. He knows me well and is a reliable source of info. He's always helping me out with stuff!

They sourced the correct spacer to fit by big blacks and I'm sure would supply you with the right thing once you settle on what braking system you are going for!

On the front I've got Big Blacks, albeit sprayed yellow!

These were fitted by 9M in 2009 along with the following major items

Pads 99335194900
disc 96535104500
disc 96535104600
caliper mounting bolt 99906704209
993 master cylinder 99335591000
brake adaptors (non-Porsche) were £150 !

As you may remember I had no problems braking at Donnington last year with this setup and it's served me well at Spa and the 'ring too.

Hope this helps.
Attached Images     
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

9m dont do the adapters any more.
I asked them in summer.

I used 928 discs, fit and work well.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:51 AM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 964russ
9m dont do the adapters any more.
I asked them in summer.

I used 928 discs, fit and work well.
What 928 discs did you fit as I thought they were weren't large enough in diameter!?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Originally Posted by boxsey911
Based on ordering at least four sets of standard pads which fit 964 front and rear (4 pots) and 993 rears, these are working out at about £132 per set:

Standard size pads - HB170 blue

Based on ordering at least two sets of Big red pads (also fit 928 big blacks), these are working out at about £211 per set.

Big red/black pads - HB184 blue

This includes shipping to me and import tax that I have to pay on arrival. I guess that sending the pads on to you by post would add about £15 to your total bill.

This is all based on:

Boxsey: 2 X HB170 blue
Cheeksyboy: 1 x HB184 blue, 1 x HB170 blue
Frank: 1 x HB184 blue, 1 x HB170 blue

If there's more than this I would check first to see if we can get more discount.
Originally Posted by Cheeksyboy
Thanks for all the help Gents - everything is ordered. Matt at Type911 is a stellar chap

I'm in for the brake pads, how do we proceed - is it worth starting a new thread for a UK group buy?

Cheers,
Old 02-08-2012, 01:54 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Thanks for all the help Gents - everything is ordered. Matt at Type911 is a stellar chap

I'm in for the brake pads, how do we proceed - is it worth starting a new thread for a UK group buy?

Cheers,
What have you ordered Frank?
Old 02-08-2012, 02:32 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

What have you ordered Frank?
After chatting with Matt at Type911 and Design911 turns out the DesignTek 1s have no certifications.

I just rather be alive and poorer, than dead with having spent less. I know the risks may be very minimal, as said it's the consequences which aren't worth it for me!

Anyway I went with 993 Turbo fronts with 965 discs (thanks everyone for part numbers etc). Controversially I feel, I'm leaving the four pot rears... had a chat with 9m and GtOne about it and they both say that unless you're Schumacher you won't feel the difference... I can always change them in the future. Besides a few people here are running this exact set up and seems happy to date. At least I won't be the Guinea Pig.

Not only will this set up be good on track, it will also put my faith back into the car's braking system... A little while ago I made a big error and almost lost it, had there been cars coming it would have probably been the end (I won't tell the story on here) - had the brakes been more powerful... The solution to that problem is to learn the lesson and boy have I - but at the same time, if there is a next time it may not be my fault...

Don't get me wrong I know the standard brakes are great but I would just feel better with bigger brakes - besides they look great

My two reasons - track and peace of mind.

Cheers,

Last edited by Porsche964FP; 02-08-2012 at 02:49 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 02-08-2012, 03:43 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
After chatting with Matt at Type911 and Design911 turns out the DesignTek 1s have no certifications.

I just rather be alive and poorer, than dead with having spent less. I know the risks may be very minimal, as said it's the consequences which aren't worth it for me!

Anyway I went with 993 Turbo fronts with 965 discs (thanks everyone for part numbers etc). Controversially I feel, I'm leaving the four pot rears... had a chat with 9m and GtOne about it and they both say that unless you're Schumacher you won't feel the difference... I can always change them in the future. Besides a few people here are running this exact set up and seems happy to date. At least I won't be the Guinea Pig.

Not only will this set up be good on track, it will also put my faith back into the car's braking system... A little while ago I made a big error and almost lost it, had there been cars coming it would have probably been the end (I won't tell the story on here) - had the brakes been more powerful... The solution to that problem is to learn the lesson and boy have I - but at the same time, if there is a next time it may not be my fault...

Don't get me wrong I know the standard brakes are great but I would just feel better with bigger brakes - besides they look great

My two reasons - track and peace of mind.

Cheers,
Congrats Frank.

FYI bigger brakes won't necessarily stop you better on a 1-off occasion, but they will help on repeated applications.....ask me how I know over a beer at Spa!
Old 02-08-2012, 03:50 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Congrats Frank.

FYI bigger brakes won't necessarily stop you better on a 1-off occasion, but they will help on repeated applications.....ask me how I know over a beer at Spa!
I know especially when the ABS takes over there's nothing much to do after that but reapply! Make that a few beers
Old 02-08-2012, 04:39 PM
Cheeksyboy
Burning Brakes

Ahh, the lost art of cadence braking !

" Make that a few beers", Done
Old 02-08-2012, 05:09 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ahh, the lost art of cadence braking !

" Make that a few beers", Done
Best thing I ever learnt at the old Brands Hatch race school, many years ago, still more effective than ABS in real emergencies!

And did someone mention beer?
Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Best thing I ever learnt at the old Brands Hatch race school, many years ago, still more effective than ABS in real emergencies!

And did someone mention beer?
Belgian beer! Now all we need is a big bowl of muscles and fries!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: CHEAP - Brand new replica Big Reds...