Sponsored by:

Idle problem - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM
Havana Henry
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle problem - advice please

I have a problem with the idle on my 92 Carrera 2. Hopefully the video link works, and explains better than I do, but basically it wants to stall briefly rather than idle smoothly when lifting off the throttle.

This happens at all times, but seems to get a little better when properly warmed up. I think it's worse in the colder weather we are having now, but I may be imagining that.

Not a major problem, but it makes parking a pain as it stalls if I don't keep the revs up. Ditto in stop start traffic, it doesn't stall, but can make progress a little uneven.

I have already cleaned out the Idle speed control valve and re-connected the battery.

Stock internals as far as I am aware, but it has a silencer bypass pipe, drilled airbox and a Steve Wong chip apparently (no receipt for this supplied with the car, any way to check?).

Any help on this much appreciated.

Old 01-23-2012, 02:00 PM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Have you got a lightweight flywheel?

If you want to check the chip, the ecu is under the seat, the lid is just screwed on, the ROM chip will be visible (rectangular, 28 pin, 1.5 inch by .5 inch) - I'd guess it will have a sticker on it .
Old 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM
Havana Henry
Intermediate

No mention of a flywheel change that I can remeber Alex. It has had a clutch though so I'll take a very close look at the receipts when I get home.

Any other way you can tell, other than drive back to back with a standard car?
Old 01-23-2012, 03:27 PM
alanp
Instructor

I had that problem after installing a Steve Wong chip and mentioned the rough idle to my shop when I took it in for a post rebuild checkup. They did an Idle adaptation & now it's perfect.

Steve Wong recommends having the idle adapt done after installing his chip as just disconnecting the ground & having the ecu re-learn does not always work.

I have a lightweight flywheel.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2012, 04:12 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same problem .. solved by a combination of:
- new idle control valve
- steve wong chip
- bosch hammer adaptation (would bet my house that the bosch hammer does more than the 'spirited drive' crap).

I think it was really the bosch hammer adaptation that had the biggest impact.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:12 PM
964russ
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

up the idle ever so slightly.

2 small screws.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:26 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sml
Same problem .. solved by a combination of:
- new idle control valve
- steve wong chip
- bosch hammer adaptation (would bet my house that the bosch hammer does more than the 'spirited drive' crap).

I think it was really the bosch hammer adaptation that had the biggest impact.
I agree there is nothing that the stock DME will do with a spirited drive that just letting run would do, and that set basic idle and default settings.

It's not a smart car, and it WILL NOT learn your driving habits. It may make you feel better, but it wont do a self adaptation.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:28 PM
Blu RS
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Tighten all, repeat all, clamp bands on intake system . .

OK, I know this sounds simplistic, but over time (and countless hours of usage) the steel bands on your intake system can loosen as your rubber gaskets shrink. Time to tighten all the bands to minimize air leaks. Easy to say, pain in the butt to accomplish. You'll see that 75% are easy to reach but the rest are painful to extremely difficult. First hand experience that it worked for me in a similar circumstance. Good luck!
Old 01-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Havana Henry
Intermediate

OK great, thanks for all the replies. In reverse reply order : I'll have a go at the bands at the weekend. Regardless of difficulty to get at, it's a do at home solution so works for me.

Not sure just upping the idle will fix it, but I'm willing to try if it's quick and reversible. Where are those screws Russ?

And assuming you other 3 guys - alan, smal and makmov are pretty much describing the same thing, what does the the idle / Bosch hammer adaptation involve?

Thanks again
Old 01-23-2012, 07:36 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Hooking up the hammer to the OBD1 port in the pass side foot well and running the adaptation command. Not a big deal. It will just adjust the DME idle outputs signals from the base line to where it needs to be.
Old 01-23-2012, 07:54 PM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Yours is behaving in exactly the same way as mine does since I had the lightweight flywheel (LWF) fitted. A 964 with a LWF feels totally different to one with the normal dual mass flywheel (DMF). However, you'll not know that yourself unless you first started with the DMF and then had the LWF fitted.

A LWF equipped 964 is far more zingy on the throttle. If you accelerate hard in 2nd gear and then do a quick change to 3rd at about 5,000 rpm the revs will be right back up there when you let the clutch out. With a DMF you lose more momentum and the revs take a touch longer to climb again.

A Wong chip can be fitted to remove the stalling issue of the LWF. However, I believe it has to be ordered with the right configuration for the LWF (there are several options). I haven't bothered getting one for mine as I've heard it can dull the performance that the LWF gives the car. So I live with the stalling that occurs while the engine is cold. Once it's good and warm, it's fine.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:20 AM
sml
Three Wheelin'

forget adjusting the idle speed.

first step is the bosch hammer adaptation .. then after that make sure you 'never' disconnect the battery, or else you will have to go back to the dealer for another adaptation.

second step is to clean the idle control valve, or buy a new one.

the adaptation takes about 5 minutes.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Havana Henry
Intermediate

I'll have to wait until I meet up with some fellow 964 owners to really check out the flywheel situation, shouldn't be too long a wait. But for now, adaptation it is then.

UK guys - Anyone know who can help me here down near Brighton? Anyone got their own that can help? I guess Carrera Performance could easily handle this. Any others nearish to me...?
Old 01-24-2012, 04:17 PM
sml
Three Wheelin'

and the ICV (idle control valve) clean ... it is about 30mins DIY for a first timer. just search for a guide on the forum here.
Old 01-24-2012, 05:15 PM
Havana Henry
Intermediate

I did do that a while ago, see first post. But happy to try it again. What's the best thing to clean it with?

Quick Reply: Idle problem - advice please