Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interesting (?) DME relay discovery...

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 12:13 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Interesting (?) DME relay discovery...

Shortly after I bought my '90 C4 I purchased a spare DME relay from PP based on forum advice. Also on the advice of the forums, I took the functioning DME relay out of the relay block to serve as the spare and plugged the new one in. This was in July IIRC.

Starting in mebbe October or November I started getting rare random no-starts. I never put the original relay back in; a tap on the top of the new relay usually 'fixed' the issue and I'd forget about it until next time. I finally pulled the relay out to have a look at it last night.

(Apologies; my digicam isn't working so you get blackberry images)

Using an illuminated magnifier I found NO issues with the solder pads. No cracks, no cold joints. The PCB looked great.

Flipping the body over I looked at the actual relay mechanisms and that's where I found something interesting.

These are simple devices. There's a pair of electromagnets that when energized pull a 'flapper plate' (that's a technical term ) down to the magnet core. The flappers are held up by a single spring when the magnets are not energized and aren't really 'hinged' by anything other than interlocking shapes of the flapper edge and electromagnet housing. Affixed to the flappers are copper contact plates and welded to those are copper braids which are also welded to the electromagnet body.

In the relay I have, the copper braid on the lower electromagnet was installed in such a way that it was in physical contact with the flapper plate, resulting in that flapper plate not sitting correctly. It wasn't flat to the 'hinge axis' like that of the upper mechanism. It was obvious that the copper braid was clamped to the electromagnet housing prior to welding, and the clamped area remained squashed flat to the housing above the weld. This was where the braid was interfering with the motion of the flapper. I got under the flattened clamp area with a thin wedge (used a scalpel, actually...) and lifted it enough to get a small flathead screwdriver under it. It only took a light pry and gentle rearrangement to get the flapper to sit correctly. Note please that these photos are post-repair.

I did this last night so I can't say for sure that I fixed the problem, but here's hoping...
Old 01-02-2012, 01:55 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Well done!!!! The quality control of these (and other) parts leave something to be desired and this may become SOP if the situation worsens.

By the powers invested in me by Rennlist, I hereby confer on you the degree of DER; Doctor of Electrical Relays, and that includes all honors and privileges that you are now entitled to.
Old 01-02-2012, 02:54 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
...I hereby confer on you the degree of DER; Doctor of Electrical Relays, and that includes all honors and privileges that you are now entitled to.
Hey, cooool... Is there a certificate (suitable for framing or otherwise) an ID card and/or a secret handshake?
Old 01-02-2012, 03:39 PM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Incidentally what you have named a flapper is known as the armature...

Old 01-02-2012, 03:53 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Feral is a Doc now so what he says is what it is
Old 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by klr10
Incidentally what you have named a flapper is known as the armature...

Oh, sure. And you guys call dessert 'pudding', giving rise to this obviously ridiculous conversation:

"Hullo mum! What's for pudding?"

"Oh hi sonny- we'll be having pudding for pudding."

Don't even get me started on bollocks. Something that sucks is 'bollocks' (or 'pants'; wtf?!), but something good is 'the dog's bollocks.'

I'm just messing; work with a mess of Brits and the actual truth is that HRH pays my wage. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-02-2012, 04:34 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
Feral is a Doc now so what he says is what it is
WOW!!! Good job Feral...thanks.

Great roadside fix if absolutely necessary and good to know.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:40 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KaiB
WOW!!! Good job Feral...thanks.

Great roadside fix if absolutely necessary and good to know.
It takes 5 minutes or less to check; my prescription would be to do so before you're stuck roadside. In the dark. While it's cold and raining. And you're headed back to your date's house. (I hate when that happens)
Old 01-02-2012, 04:56 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Geez, prescriptions now, huh?
Old 01-02-2012, 05:31 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

I'm only half playing. It really was an easy check/fix. Of course, my car had some symptoms that warranted the attention.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:05 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Boots and Bonnets and cubby boxes...Oh My

If you dont eat your meat you can't have any pudding...how can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat

Last edited by Silvertarga; 01-02-2012 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Project for Feral Comprehension

Feral: Why not construct an electromagnetic device wired to your dash or another handy-dandy arm's-length remote position that has a servo-arm that taps on the top of your DME relay in case you're ever stuck in a midnight heavy downpour, no flashlight, and a burned-out trunk light, or heaven forbid, a broken hood release cable. It could plug into an adjacent site in the central electric panel and take up a minimum of space. I would begin post-haste on a feasibility study ! Having an advanced degree in both cosmic and subatomic electromagnetic phenomena from Ding-Dong University, I am the one to call for any and all assistance you may need. CHEERS.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:02 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
Hey, cooool... Is there a certificate (suitable for framing or otherwise) an ID card and/or a secret handshake?
You get free fries with every meal at the Nurburgring cafe
Old 01-02-2012, 08:32 PM
alanp
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Genius?.....or insanely curious?

Well done!
Old 01-03-2012, 06:46 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Silvertarga
Boots and Bonnets and cubby boxes...Oh My

If you dont eat your meat you can't have any pudding...how can you have any pudding if you dont eat your meat
Simples! (as Alexander might say). By eating either Black or Yorkshire puddings first. Don't get me started on the language alternatives, I worked with USAF for 9 years - why use one syllable when you could use five! And, as for Websters dictionary........

Quick Reply: Interesting (?) DME relay discovery...