Electrical 101 - starter ground wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 AM
touque
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Electrical 101 - starter ground wire

Been having starting issues over the past 3 or so weeks. Car would typically turn over real slow, sometimes not turn over at all. More often happened when when hot. Sometimes ok when cold. Didn't want to drive the car as I couldn't trust that it would start when I needed it. Seemed like a typical bad battery even though the PO said it was new and the autozone tech said it tested ok.

Bought new battery - didn't make any difference. Ordered new starter and today was the big day to go through the big ordeal!

Read post after post on how to replace the starter. Jacked car up, took passenger wheel off. Was getting ready to start removing the axle bolts when I saw that the ground wire in the starter was just sitting on there over the post with no nut holding it down

Wow - found a suitable nut, put it on and tried to start the car and voila - very fast turnover and no issues. Problem solved!

I've read so many posts here on checking ground wires and all electrical connections. Thought that was way too easy for my problem. Crazy how for the first time ever, the easiest possible outcome happened. Of course, I now have an unneeded new battery and starter!

So the morale of the story is to always CHECK YOUR GROUND WIRES!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:42 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check, then maintain. CorrosionX, TC11, LPS.... whatever.
Old 12-31-2011, 01:02 PM
DWS964
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts

I had the same starting issues - on both cars. And found that even with the original ground wire tightened down, I still had a problem. I replaced the ground cable and no more problems.
Note that there is also another ground strap (often missing) that is attached to the transaxle on the left side, that may assist with this issue.

Quick Reply: Electrical 101 - starter ground wire