Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 06:27 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BIOFUEL TIMEBOMB - Not great news for UK and European owners

If you haven't already, have a read of this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=24900

Certainly not the best news I've read today. It's going to get more and more difficult over time to enjoy ourselves on the roads in our beloved 911s
Old 12-20-2011, 07:02 AM
evoderby
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.millersoils.net/1_Millers...VSPe-press.htm

Help is on it's way it seems....
Old 12-20-2011, 07:03 AM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by PaulW_964
If you haven't already, have a read of this:

http://www.pistonheads.com/news/defa...?storyId=24900

Certainly not the best news I've read today. It's going to get more and more difficult over time to enjoy ourselves on the roads in our beloved 911s
Ouch! What's worrying is that anything up to 10% doesn't have to be declared/ labelled! There must be an additive!
Old 12-20-2011, 07:13 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP
Ouch! What's worrying is that anything up to 10% doesn't have to be declared/ labelled! There must be an additive!
Looks like Evoderby has found the answer Frank... we won't be beaten!
Old 12-20-2011, 09:15 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Unfortunately, the stockists for Millers products are a bit thin on the ground...hopefully BP, Shell et al will come up with similar products or we're going to have to buy it by the case and keep it in the frunk....
Old 12-20-2011, 10:59 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Originally Posted by cuse92
Unfortunately, the stockists for Millers products are a bit thin on the ground...hopefully BP, Shell et al will come up with similar products or we're going to have to buy it by the case and keep it in the frunk....
Ben, surely Paul Steven's could sort out a biofuel modification for your engine build... while they're at it
Old 12-20-2011, 11:18 AM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

In the states our E10 blend penetration has been growing every year, and now it's very difficult to find Conventional gasoline. In Connecticut, E10 has been used for almost 20 years. And honestly, there are alot of 911's here...E10 is not a big worry. E15 and above, yes. The big worry is the fuel lines in older cars. The lines corrode and the gunk from the inside of the lines clogs your fuel filter. Replace Fuel filter every 20k miles or so and most of the problem is taken care of....

All that said - I agree, it's a bummer conventional gasoline is no longer available anywhere near me. You get less power and lower gas mileage out of E10 vs Conventional.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody got a list of the parts in our cars that are incompatible with alcohol ?
I wonder if Porsche would ?
Old 12-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Goughary
Race Car

Received 428 Likes on 278 Posts

I'd like to have that list as well. I just replaced all my fuel lines, and woudl like to hit any difficult parts while the engine is still out...
Old 12-20-2011, 04:57 PM
cuse92
Instructor

Ben, surely Paul Steven's could sort out a biofuel modification for your engine build... while they're at it
He's already drained my bank account and had my car for five months, don't give him any more ideas
Old 12-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Porsche964FP
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks like Evoderby has found the answer Frank... we won't be beaten!
Wonder what this will do to the cash values of our cars....

He's already drained my bank account and had my car for five months, don't give him any more ideas
Hopefully he'll throw in an air freshener!

Seriously though, your car will be the dogs - not that it wasn't already!

Plus it's value will go up, it'll be at least be worth 40K, no? Past Pistonheads cars with 3.8 engines have sold for similar money - let alone a PS Autoart car with 3.8!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-21-2011, 04:33 AM
cuse92
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche964FP

Plus it's value will go up, it'll be at least be worth 40K, no? Past Pistonheads cars with 3.8 engines have sold for similar money - let alone a PS Autoart car with 3.8!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Frank, I would hope it would be worth even more (if paul was doing everything that's been done to my car in a single build and selling it he'd charge 85k or more), but I don't know. The market for these cars is a bit rarified - he has no problem selling them quickly when they come back, but "retros" only appeal to people like us who are a small minority even within the pork massive. And of course the market in general is depressed. I doubt I'd get anywhere near that much, or even what I've spent on the car, but I don't care because I have no intention of ever selling her!

I'm hopeful that I'll have her back in time for the Feb meet at the Row Barge, fingers crossed! Looking forward to seeing everybody - you've done a lot to your car since the last time I saw her...
Old 12-21-2011, 05:55 AM
PaulW_964
Pro

Hi Frank, I would hope it would be worth even more (if paul was doing everything that's been done to my car in a single build and selling it he'd charge 85k or more), but I don't know. The market for these cars is a bit rarified - he has no problem selling them quickly when they come back, but "retros" only appeal to people like us who are a small minority even within the pork massive. And of course the market in general is depressed. I doubt I'd get anywhere near that much, or even what I've spent on the car, but I don't care because I have no intention of ever selling her!

I'm hopeful that I'll have her back in time for the Feb meet at the Row Barge, fingers crossed! Looking forward to seeing everybody - you've done a lot to your car since the last time I saw her...
Yes indeed, PS Autoart cars fetch a premium and are quite sort after. As Paul is doing the engine work as well and I'm sure will authenticate the build, I would agree with Ben and say £40k ++. As with a lot of these things, they are worth as much as somebody is willing to pay for them (a lot in the case of PS cars). Which is nice to know, but if you are planning to keep hold of the beast, then it's an added bonus, but kind of irrelevant.

Although mine is a pretty much standard Carrera 2, the forecast is pretty positive for the car's future value (I don't think the Biofuel will impact things too much - hopefully not) I don't plan on selling and I didn't buy it as an investment, but it does take some of the sting out of parting with the cash we put into keeping our porkers in fine form
Old 12-21-2011, 06:58 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to the fuel change issue I've just seen something else that could affect our cars. Apparently, there is a UK MOT initiative that all cars that were originally fitted with a CAT must have it in place for the test....at the moment it's not a requirement if the car was built before 1993.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:04 AM
John Boggiano
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's handy - I recently put mine back on!

Quick Reply: BIOFUEL TIMEBOMB - Not great news for UK and European owners