Sponsored by:

Painting FG RSA Wing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 06:47 PM
plambert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting FG RSA Wing?

I just purchased a fiberglass RSA wing from Getty for my 1993 C2.

Do any of you have experience with masking that wing to have the outside edges painted in matte black to resemble the rubber on the OEM RSA wing?

I have to confess that it seems like a PITA and, since my car is black I may opt to have the whole thing painted in the same color. Not sure yet if it would be all gloss or all matte.

TIA for your help.

Phil
Old 11-29-2011, 10:14 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

My CF RSA wing is painted all gloss black. The rubber edged wings flow well enough with the impact bumper cars, but the 964 with its smooth integrated bumpers looks much better without the rubber IMO.

EDIT: If you want to play with the look, after you have it painted (and a proper curing process is complete) you could mask off what you wanted and spray it with PlastiDip. It is super DIY friendly to get a nice looking coat laid down, and if you don't like it, you can literally peel it off without any damage to the paint underneath.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:32 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

I had an all black wing on an all black 964. Looked great. But if you want the flat black edge you could still paint the whole wing body color. Then mask off the edge and get a can of black Plasti-Dip to paint it with. It will have a nice matte look. Best of all if you decide you don't like it you can just peel it off.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:15 PM
ChaseN
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChaseN
If you want to play with the look, after you have it painted (and a proper curing process is complete) you could mask off what you wanted and spray it with PlastiDip. It is super DIY friendly to get a nice looking coat laid down, and if you don't like it, you can literally peel it off without any damage to the paint underneath.
Originally Posted by ilko
But if you want the flat black edge you could still paint the whole wing body color. Then mask off the edge and get a can of black Plasti-Dip to paint it with. It will have a nice matte look. Best of all if you decide you don't like it you can just peel it off.
Echo...echo..echo...

Just messin with ya
Old 11-30-2011, 01:28 PM
elbeee964
Nordschleife Master

Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

I used a combination of sand-textured paint from Home Depot overshot with truck bedliner rubbery spray from Autozone.
(Here's some pics and thoughts previously posted.)

I recall something like, 1 coat of textured paint and 3 coats of truck bedliner paint. Trying out various coat number combos on aluminum foil sample surfaces finally showed me the right combo for my taste.
It's a dead-ringer duplicate pebbling from a foot away. And going on 5-6 years old, has turned out satisfyingly durable.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:57 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by ChaseN
Echo...echo..echo...

Just messin with ya

Quick Reply: Painting FG RSA Wing?