Sponsored by:

Test for cracks in the case?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 11:43 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Indycam
if you look close enough at any part you will find flaws , that the trick is knowing what flaws are acceptable and what flaws are not .
Agreed. The non-destructive testing (NDT) industry is dedicated to the detection of flaws and the prediction of service life. The aircraft industry is the NDT industry's biggest customer.

However, I think comparing an aluminum engine crankcase for an aircraft to an aluminum crankcase for a car is an apples to oranges comparison.
The aircraft crankcase must be much lighter. It is therefore thinner. Aircraft owners and operators expect to re-engine their aircraft at some point during the service life of the aircraft.
This is not the design philosophy of a car. The engine is more robust and expected to outlive the chassis. Since warranty costs and customer satisfaction are at stake, engine designs endure punishing testing to insure that they meet this goal.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:42 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by August West
With a leak of 4-5 inch puddle per day and leading up to a two foot puddle over a couple of days, I'd find it hard to believe it would be coming from a crack in the case that noone can seem to be able to find.
August, you meant "Without, right?
Old 11-30-2011, 11:49 AM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
However, I think comparing an aluminum engine crankcase for an aircraft to an aluminum crankcase for a car is an apples to oranges comparison.
Its apples to apples .

The aircraft crankcase must be much lighter. It is therefore thinner.
This is a guess on your part ?
You think continental / lycoming would make , get approval for and sell cases that crack so they could save a few pounds ?
You think continental / lycoming would accept engine case failure for a few pounds ?

Aircraft owners and operators expect to re-engine their aircraft at some point during the service life of the aircraft.
Not really .

This is not the design philosophy of a car. The engine is more robust and expected to outlive the chassis.
I think you have that backwards , the aircraft engine must be more robust and reliable , lives depend on it .
When the Porsche flat six was used as an aircraft motor it needed to be fixed up to be more robust and reliable for lives depended on it not failing in flight .
http://www.seqair.com/Other/PFM/PorschePFM.html

Since warranty costs and customer satisfaction are at stake, engine designs endure punishing testing to insure that they meet this goal.
You think the auto industry has "warranty costs and customer satisfaction..." and the aircraft industry doesn't ?

http://dedeporsche.posterous.com/fro...gines-that-fly
"The Porsche FlugMotoren (Porsche Aero Engines) was either sort of a disaster, or a total disaster, depending on who you ask."

"Under United States law, where most of the engines were used, Porsche was required to continue to supply parts and maintenance for the engines. Instead, they claimed to have destroyed all spare parts and refuse to support the very engines they put into the marketplace. The company has even gone so far as to try and render the planes worthless by claiming the engines need certain parts replaced after a number of flight hours and then refusing to provide technical information so such parts could be privately manufactured."
Old 11-30-2011, 12:24 PM
Makmov
Drifting

The Porsche Mooney, pretty much just came down to initial cost to build and maint. cost of ownership, so it didn't fly, pardon the pun.

There was more going on there under the radar and was some infighting about the whole project.

So Porsche did what Porsche does and took their football and went home when it doesn't go their way.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:25 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

http://www.lightplane-maintenance.com/LPM_LPM_0605.html
"While we will agree some cases seem more crack-prone than others, no engine is immune. Both Lycoming and Continental discuss crankcase cracking at length in service literature, understanding that it can happen and with some frequency.

Both publish guidelines for inspecting cases and offer advice on what is considered airworthy and what isn't. Some publications provide repair criteria to be used during overhaul that severely restrict where welding and re-machining of the case may be accomplished."

"Crankcases crack because aluminum castings do not like to flex and air-cooled engines equipped with opposing cylinders flex as a matter of operational functioning. The result is predictable as the case relieves normal and abnormal stresses."

My father was a prototype machinist for Hughes Aircraft , he tells me that every piece of metal is flawed from the get go and more so after it has been machined as most machining rips metal from metal . Every cut surface has micro cracks resulting from the cutting . He has told me that if you look close enough at any part you will find flaws , that the trick is knowing what flaws are acceptable and what flaws are not .
A bigger reason why aircraft cases crack over a similar car engine does not have to do as much with flex as much as it does with expansion and contraction due to temperature variations associated with aircraft. Car engines will get hot or cold but stay within their ambient temperature while operating. An aircraft engine might leave the ground at an ambient temp of 80 degrees F and then be put through all sorts of temperature changes in a few seconds or minutes time. Temps may drop to as low as -30 or more and then jump back to 80 when landing. the sudden change in temperature can impact a casting tremendously. This can also change the temper of the alloy depending on what it goes through.

Established criteria is used to determine what is acceptable surface defect we also have to consider surface irregularities which are common in castings which may or may not have an impact. What is a stress riser depends on its application, alloy used and location of the indication to an outer edge or a highly stressed part of the casting.

My understanding of aluminum and magnesium castings is somewhat extensive and I can assure you odds are if his case is cracked it is more the result of bad practices from previous mechanics than it is from flexing.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:58 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FeralComprehension
August, you meant "Without, right?
Nah, I meant "with." I gleaned from porschefan's other postings that he was getting a 4-5 inch puddle per day, spreading to a two foot puddle after a few days. It seemed to me that a miniscule crack that noone has been able to locate wouldn't be big enough to leak that much oil and that the oil leak is probably coming from somewhere else.

Sorry if my words were confusing! I was just making a case for the simplest solution usually being the right solution as per Occam's Razor.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:42 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for clarifying; looking at the photos in the other current thread I had no idea the problem was as severe as that.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Its apples to apples .
Well that's a convincing argument!

This is a guess on your part ?
You think continental / lycoming would make , get approval for and sell cases that crack so they could save a few pounds ?
You think continental / lycoming would accept engine case failure for a few pounds ?
Yes they would.
To make something lighter you have to remove mass.
Aircraft manufacturers go to obsessive lengths to save weight. Special lightweight upholstery and 3 phase power are two good examples of this. Product design and manufacturing are full of trade-offs. Some durability had to be traded for weight.

I think you have that backwards , the aircraft engine must be more robust and reliable , lives depend on it .
Well, that's why aircraft have to be inspected at set intervals and engines overhauled on a schedule too. Think of what it would be like if airplanes were maintained like cars?

When the Porsche flat six was used as an aircraft motor it needed to be fixed up to be more robust and reliable for lives depended on it not failing in flight .
http://dedeporsche.posterous.com/fro...gines-that-fly
"The Porsche FlugMotoren (Porsche Aero Engines) was either sort of a disaster, or a total disaster, depending on who you ask."

"Under United States law, where most of the engines were used, Porsche was required to continue to supply parts and maintenance for the engines. Instead, they claimed to have destroyed all spare parts and refuse to support the very engines they put into the marketplace. The company has even gone so far as to try and render the planes worthless by claiming the engines need certain parts replaced after a number of flight hours and then refusing to provide technical information so such parts could be privately manufactured."
Interpretation: Porsche had excess manufacturing capacity for 911 engines. Some suit in Wiessach got the bright idea to engineer and build 911 aircraft engines. The due diligence wasn't performed up front and down the road Porsche got a nasty surprise. They found out they had to supply parts long after they were accustomed to doing and that there are a ton of third party manufacturers and re-manufacturers, not to mention repair/overhaul businesses they would have to be responsible for. In the end, it was a big money loser so Porsche pulled out.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:03 PM
mojorizing
Rennlist Member

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

With the engine now out of the car, I have a suggestion on how to possibly locating porosity/crack in the case. This method is used in large tanks where it's not possible to put a hydro test on a small repair on a steel bulkhead. A vacuum is applied to the area by the use of a "vacuum box" that has a window to see the weld repair ( that's been soaped up) to be tested. To do an engine case, all you would need to do is clean the area, then use the same vacuum bagging techniques used in boat and surfboard construction to apply a deep vacuum on the suspected area. Let stand for awhile, then remove vac bag to see if there's oil residual drawn out of the casing. Unless the crack is in the vicinity of an oil passage where the pressure differential is 5bar, a vacuum should be sufficient to draw oil from a crack that normally leaks at static pressure.

Unless you prove your mechanic wrong, you won't have piece of mind until you replace the casing.......

As an aside, in the past, did you jack the car by lifting on the engine seam?
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,052 Likes on 1,232 Posts

Originally Posted by mojorizing
As an aside, in the past, did you jack the car by lifting on the engine seam?
This is not an approved technique to lifting a 964 and is a definite no no. However people do it all the time and I have never heard of anyone cracking a case by doing so although blowing out your engine mounts is quite common.

I am curious to see what the results are and if and where they determined a crack to be.
Old 01-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

Kevin Cameron has a great article "Casting Chronicles" about casting cases .
Page 24 Cycle World , Feb 2012 .

He also has a great article "Hot Metal" about heat flow in an air cooled heads
Page 38 May 2011
Old 01-15-2012, 09:19 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

Take the advice of August West. Think someone(s) headed in the wrong direction!

Quick Reply: Test for cracks in the case?