Sponsored by:

Help wanted: 964 18" wheels

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2014, 11:01 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As Andrew very rarely posts on here I will update this

The offsets were the correct numbers but the the pieces were stamped with incorrect values at the Cargraphic factory (Not Good)

The wheels went back to Germany and were measured and found to wrong and re-built to the correct values and the issue went away

Old 05-27-2014, 06:10 PM
J81 JKR
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't wish to hijack this thread but can someone please confirm if the following would fit, with or without spacers?

Fronts: 9J x 18 x ET50 (currently with 235/40s)
Rears: 10J x 18 x ET50 (currently with 285/30s)

Thanks in advance
Old 05-27-2014, 06:56 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by J81 JKR
I don't wish to hijack this thread but can someone please confirm if the following would fit, with or without spacers? Fronts: 9J x 18 x ET50 (currently with 235/40s) Rears: 10J x 18 x ET50 (currently with 285/30s) Thanks in advance
Front: 9J will cause issues. I've seen it done but you would need lots of negative camber and a mildly stretched tyre like a 225.

Rear: 285 is a very wide tyre which would cause rubbing IMO. Should be a 265. Rear offset would want a big spacer to fill the arches.

Basically these are not a straight swap and would require a few hurdle jumps to make fit. IMO pass on these wheels.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:59 AM
dave964diver
Racer

Originally Posted by BLACK-BETTY
Front: 9J will cause issues. I've seen it done but you would need lots of negative camber and a mildly stretched tyre like a 225.

Rear: 285 is a very wide tyre which would cause rubbing IMO. Should be a 265. Rear offset would want a big spacer to fill the arches.

Basically these are not a straight swap and would require a few hurdle jumps to make fit. IMO pass on these wheels.
Plus one on the Hijacking thread! Apologies. I've got 9s 225 and 10s 265 on the rears. They fit now with a degree of camber but I can't help feel that they contribute to the cars nervousness. They have good grip but tramline like a mother....

I've just ordered KW V3s and all the suspension bushes to get the best possible set up and to find if there is a happy medium to be had on the road.

I like the grip of the 18 inch 225s tyres just not the way the fronts follow every change in road surface. The ruf suspension I have is rock hard at the front but I feel the rebound is too slow so hopefully this will change with the kws.

I'll need to get a full Geo done once everything everything is fitted. The 11s I have at the rear are great as they really grip and the **** end only occasionally squirms if I'm not dead straight but that's a whole other problem(no LSD)

My wheels are really growing on me now so will try my best to make it work chances are though I'll have to go back to 17s and a narrower front tyre for the road.

Last edited by dave964diver; 05-28-2014 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Wrong info!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:28 AM
dave964diver
Racer

Edit... 225 9inch at the front and 265 10inch on the rear. No problems on the rear but rubbing on full steering lock on the fronts.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:21 AM
clinchy993
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Way to go Dave KW V3 good man
Old 05-28-2014, 07:28 AM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Originally Posted by dave964diver
I've just ordered KW V3s and all the suspension bushes to get the best possible set up and to find if there is a happy medium to be had on the road.
Happy days! You're gonna love 'em.

Dave can you give me some specs on your rears? Tyre size, offset and amount of negative camber? Also you in for Sunday right!?

Cheers,
Old 05-28-2014, 07:59 AM
J81 JKR
Pro

Damn, I was worried you might say that! Stretching tyres has never seemed advisable to me (perhaps because I'm ignorant) despite looking great at times so I'll pass. Thanks for the advice Frank.
Old 05-28-2014, 04:08 PM
dave964diver
Racer

Happy days! You're gonna love 'em.

Dave can you give me some specs on your rears? Tyre size, offset and amount of negative camber? Also you in for Sunday right!?

Cheers,
Had a little drive out to Wiltshire today to steve bull where they have a very fancy geo machine. Christian a top bloke who fitted me in for a couple hours just to see where I was with the suspension. Meh...

I can't tell you how this Has really transformed the handling. That said Christian took it out an feels that there is still some high speed lift and some nervousness but it doesn't handle like a shopping trolley now . He only had a couple hours to fiddle and said there is some work to do on the front caster and the ride hight and attitude. He admits that he's not sure what's causing this but feels the cars attitude could be further raked down.

Apparently I need to put the rear under tray back on as this is not helping the high speed handling. He said I should try a set of smaller doner wheels ie cups to see if this takes away any nervousness but says the bilsteins I have are fine and a far superior product to the KWs and I need to investigate getting them 1. Identified ie What they are and what springs are with them and 2. Possibly re valved.

That still leaves me with non adjustable suspension so I'm gonna stay with the v3s but keep the rufs to see if I can sort them out later.

I'm surfing a comp down in croyde this weekend but hopefully get knocked out of the early heats and make it on Sunday. I'll be getting some energy drinks in on Saturday night so I'm sure this will be the case!
Old 05-28-2014, 04:54 PM
freedman
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently I need to put the rear under tray back on as this is not helping the high speed handling. !
Foot to the floor around the Dytona banking, maybe Hurley Haywood could feel if the car had an undertray or not

On the road I do not believe mere mortals could ever go fast enough to have a clue whether there is one on there or not
Old 05-28-2014, 06:01 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Had a little drive out to Wiltshire today to steve bull where they have a very fancy geo machine. Christian a top bloke who fitted me in for a couple hours just to see where I was with the suspension. Meh...

I can't tell you how this Has really transformed the handling. That said Christian took it out an feels that there is still some high speed lift and some nervousness but it doesn't handle like a shopping trolley now . He only had a couple hours to fiddle and said there is some work to do on the front caster and the ride hight and attitude. He admits that he's not sure what's causing this but feels the cars attitude could be further raked down.

Apparently I need to put the rear under tray back on as this is not helping the high speed handling. He said I should try a set of smaller doner wheels ie cups to see if this takes away any nervousness but says the bilsteins I have are fine and a far superior product to the KWs and I need to investigate getting them 1. Identified ie What they are and what springs are with them and 2. Possibly re valved.

That still leaves me with non adjustable suspension so I'm gonna stay with the v3s but keep the rufs to see if I can sort them out later.

I'm surfing a comp down in croyde this weekend but hopefully get knocked out of the early heats and make it on Sunday. I'll be getting some energy drinks in on Saturday night so I'm sure this will be the case!
Well in my humble opinion saying that your system is far superior to KWs is quite unjust - considering their competition application credentials. Being able to fine tune bound and rebound settings is a huge advantage when setting up a car as you know.

Looking quickly at your stats - seems your front left camber was way out.

Regarding the under tray - there are many threads here debating it's aero dynamic and cooling effects. IMO it makes no difference what so ever - from my off and on track experience.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:08 PM
dave964diver
Racer

Ok I'll bin it! Sorry to hijack the thread. Apparently 9 inch fronts are pretty ambitious. That said now the geo has a basic rudimentary setup to make it handle less like a shopping trolley it feels fine. I think with further fettling and lowering the front. The front end lift can be be reduced. Trouble is with the larger rim diameter the actual ride height is higher naturally.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:13 PM
dave964diver
Racer

Well in my humble opinion saying that your system is far superior to KWs is quite unjust - considering their competition application credentials. Being able to fine tune bound and rebound settings is a huge advantage when setting up a car as you know.

Looking quickly at your stats - seems your front left camber was way out.

Regarding the under tray - there are many threads here debating it's aero dynamic and cooling effects. IMO it makes no difference what so ever - from my off and on track experience.
Well this is what I thought Frank, so I'm sticking with the KWs as it provides a greater level of adjustment. Either that or pss10s. Thing is there are hords of people that advocate KWs so like the SW chip it's gotta be a good thing

Got a great deal on them so I'll humbly except the consensus.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:05 PM
BLACK-BETTY
Drifting

Ok I'll bin it! Sorry to hijack the thread. Apparently 9 inch fronts are pretty ambitious. That said now the geo has a basic rudimentary setup to make it handle less like a shopping trolley it feels fine. I think with further fettling and lowering the front. The front end lift can be be reduced.
9J are definitely ambitious but your contact patch is fine since IIRC you're running 225... hmmm I wonder what the wheels weigh. All in all I think we might be over analysing. As a plan of action I would get those KWs in, geo again and then you'll have a good base line to go from. You'd be welcome to borrow a set of wheels from me to try, when you're ready. I have a set of 8J 225 and 10J 265 18s

Trouble is with the larger rim diameter the actual ride height is higher naturally.
Your ride height should not change due to rim diameter. A 17" wheel will be fitted with tyres that have a larger tyre wall/ profile than those on an 18" wheel - the goal being that your rolling circumference doesn't change.

If the rolling circumference were to change you would be applying additional stresses to the car that it isn't designed to take and your speedometer readings would be out.

Which makes me wonder what tyre sizes are you running on your 9Js? 225/40? The fact that you're running a mildly stretched tyre means you will have reduced the sidewall as the tyre is stretched across the width of the wheel which may contribute to your handling issues...

In truth a 9J should be running a 235 - 245. Seeing 235 on 8 or 8.5J is relatively common or normal.

Well this is what I thought Frank, so I'm sticking with the KWs as it provides a greater level of adjustment. Either that or pss10s. Thing is there are hords of people that advocate KWs so like the SW chip it's gotta be a good thing

Got a great deal on them so I'll humbly except the consensus.
My only reservation is that I read issues with corrosion on PSS10s. They used to be preferred by some over KWV3s because their adjustability was easier, but now all KWV3s come with a similar ergonomic adjusting ****.

Steve Wong chips are an interesting one, especially when applied with light weight flywheels... Problem with the chips is a portion of difference is due to the placebo effect.

Anyway sorry if I'm stating things that you may already know! Guess you'll have to give her a good thrashing on Sunday to further your findings.
Old 05-29-2014, 03:01 AM
dave964diver
Racer

9J are definitely ambitious but your contact patch is fine since IIRC you're running 225... hmmm I wonder what the wheels weigh. All in all I think we might be over analysing. As a plan of action I would get those KWs in, geo again and then you'll have a good base line to go from. You'd be welcome to borrow a set of wheels from me to try, when you're ready. I have a set of 8J 225 and 10J 265 18s

Your ride height should not change due to rim diameter. A 17" wheel will be fitted with tyres that have a larger tyre wall/ profile than those on an 18" wheel - the goal being that your rolling circumference doesn't change.

If the rolling circumference were to change you would be applying additional stresses to the car that it isn't designed to take and your speedometer readings would be out.

Which makes me wonder what tyre sizes are you running on your 9Js? 225/40? The fact that you're running a mildly stretched tyre means you will have reduced the sidewall as the tyre is stretched across the width of the wheel which may contribute to your handling issues...

In truth a 9J should be running a 235 - 245. Seeing 235 on 8 or 8.5J is relatively common or normal.

My only reservation is that I read issues with corrosion on PSS10s. They used to be preferred by some over KWV3s because their adjustability was easier, but now all KWV3s come with a similar ergonomic adjusting ****.

Steve Wong chips are an interesting one, especially when applied with light weight flywheels... Problem with the chips is a portion of difference is due to the placebo effect.

Anyway sorry if I'm stating things that you may already know! Guess you'll have to give her a good thrashing on Sunday to further your findings.
Wow Frank I bow to your research on wheels and suspension. You must've spent a lot of time mulling over setups. This is new side of the 964 ownership for me. Wish there was a solid answer. I Like the roock s I've got and am hoping to get them to work. Indeed as you say the contact patch and low profile tyre means the diameter and tyre is equal to a 17 inch wheel and tyre. Which leads me to believe it must be ride height. The KWs will hopefully allow me a range of adjustment to deal with this.

The wishbones actually have some way to go and the track rod ends do too before they actually horizontal so I must have some adjustment to do there. At least I can spanner for a few more years!

Quick Reply: Help wanted: 964 18" wheels