Sponsored by:

Clewett Serpentine Fan Belt

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 10:00 AM
EDoyle
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Hi Andreas

I remember very well when you were looking at first getting the kit. I think the fact that we have both installed a few of these kits speaks for itself. I do see the query with 964's though and the balancer.

The following users liked this post:
kos11-12 (05-28-2021)
Old 09-16-2020, 12:20 AM
rkwfxd
Burning Brakes

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Had mine installed last week.
kos11-12 (05-28-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 07:34 AM
Erni Mi Zera
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello guys,

Is there any slave to replace the fan bearing in the kit? Or the original bearing stays and it's movement is blocked by the washer? .... Or maybye the fan is glued to the pulley by locktite?

Ernest
Old 05-27-2021, 07:45 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by Erni Mi Zera
Hello guys,

Is there any slave to replace the fan bearing in the kit? Or the original bearing stays and it's movement is blocked by the washer? .... Or maybye the fan is glued to the pulley by locktite?

Ernest
The Clewett fan pulley is bolted to the fan (from inside) and replaces the original fan hub/bearing.

Andreas
Erni Mi Zera (05-27-2021)
Old 05-27-2021, 11:50 AM
Erni Mi Zera
AutoX

Thank You, Andreas.

Yes, this looks like the only possible solid solution.

Last edited by Erni Mi Zera; 05-27-2021 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2021, 09:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,275 Posts

FYI. As usual we find that this is a copy of the factory part as used on the RSR's. Here is a 993 3.8RSR engine with original pulley setup.

Old 06-01-2021, 08:22 AM
Erni Mi Zera
AutoX

Anthony - yes, I know it's similar, but it looks even nicer than factory one.
Certainly much nicer than the solution that was in my tpc modification.... The windmill got loose so I pulled off the pulley.

I was shocked - the fan wasn't bolted to the bearing, just pressed between it and the pulley - it kept spinning until the part number got wiped out.
I was thinking about the Clewett set, but for now I used lathed washer and screwed the fan to the bearing.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Erni Mi Zera; 06-01-2021 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-01-2021, 08:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by Erni Mi Zera
Anthony - yes, I know it's similar, but it looks even nicer than factory one.
Certainly much nicer than the solution that was in my tpc modification.... The windmill got loose so I pulled off the pulley.

I was shocked - the fan wasn't bolted to the bearing, just pressed between it and the pulley - it kept spinning until the part number got wiped out.
I was thinking about the Clewett set, but for now I used lathed washer and screwed the fan to the bearing.

I have never seen one spin like that. You could also consider drilling it out and using the three mounting points on the fan if needed as the factory part did.
Old 06-01-2021, 05:26 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,314 Likes on 611 Posts

Have to admit this setup has become very interesting to me, as it would really have some benefits in a six-cylinder 914—particularly when two mechanics would rather drop the engine than replace a belt with the six in the car. Also: the idea of carrying/replacing one of these belts on a long trip with engine in said 914. Great to see the info/feedback in this thread.

Old 07-12-2021, 03:37 PM
jocarter
Track Day

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi
Re the Clewett serpentine belt setup.

I had installed the RS hub on my 96 C4 quite a while ago and have had charging problems since.

I was wondering if the RS had the same issue, or was there a different alternator in play.

However when I looked back at my notes re the install I noticed that the pulley I re-used was the one that drove the fan, whereas the actual alternator pulley is quite a bit smaller.

I checked back to the DIY I followed and confirmed that the larger (fan) pulley was also used, however when you look at the Clewett setup the outer edge of the pulley is much further away from the ring of large holes in the fan.

Two questions:

1. Should I use the original, smaller alternator pulley instead of the original fan pulley to spin the alternator at its original speed, hence restore the charging speed/rate
2. As this will increase the fan speed too - is this bad for the fan? I suspect the Clewett setup also increases the fan speed

Thanks
John
Old 07-12-2021, 04:02 PM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by jocarter
Hi
Re the Clewett serpentine belt setup.

I had installed the RS hub on my 96 C4 quite a while ago and have had charging problems since.

I was wondering if the RS had the same issue, or was there a different alternator in play.

However when I looked back at my notes re the install I noticed that the pulley I re-used was the one that drove the fan, whereas the actual alternator pulley is quite a bit smaller.

I checked back to the DIY I followed and confirmed that the larger (fan) pulley was also used, however when you look at the Clewett setup the outer edge of the pulley is much further away from the ring of large holes in the fan.

Two questions:

1. Should I use the original, smaller alternator pulley instead of the original fan pulley to spin the alternator at its original speed, hence restore the charging speed/rate
2. As this will increase the fan speed too - is this bad for the fan? I suspect the Clewett setup also increases the fan speed

Thanks
John
John,
As designed, the RS setup spins the alternator slower than the stock 993 setup. The Clewett setup runs the alternator a bit faster than the RS setup. This from Richard Clewett directly.
I've now had my Clewett setup in place for 6+ years - no issues whatsoever. Since installing mine, I've done the same for 8 other 993 owners.

Andreas

Quick Reply: Clewett Serpentine Fan Belt