Sponsored by:

Does 964 C2 have a starter relay

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2011, 02:04 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Does 964 C2 have a starter relay

Notice that the fuse panel shows a starter relay, I have a early 90/C2 manual tranny and turning the key does nothing, all dash lights come on and dont blink or dim when key is turned...starter/solenoid does not click or do anything..I am going to replace the starter which was exhibiting failure to engage when hot and hopefully that will take care of this ...is there anything else that may cause this

Last edited by Silvertarga; 11-13-2011 at 08:37 PM.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:06 PM
Oracle
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My money is on the battery (basically dead) or a connection to the battery (to started or ground)

Good luck
Old 11-13-2011, 03:08 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Oracle I dont think thats it, starter has been acting up and failing to engage, I did add a hot start relay kit which helped a bit, Wiii post results after I tackle the R&R of starter..
Old 11-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Brand new Bosch starter installed (gee that top nut only took 4 hours to remove!)
Still no start, car runs fine if I pop start it and there is power going to starter bridged the solenoid to main lead and starter is fine

I think the combination of a dying starter was too much for the 21 year old ignition switch and it gave out so...

Next step is Ignition switch electrical portion......

Anybody have any other idea?
Old 11-16-2011, 08:28 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Before tearing apart your ignition switch, try to isolate the problem. When someone turns the key to start, are you getting power to the starter solenoid? If yes, then the problem is the starter or grounds. If not, then trace the wire back to see if you have a break.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Silvertarga
Burning Brakes

Well it isnt the ignition switch, I replaced that...since starter works when I bridge the 12 v lead to the soleniod I guess somehow I have a bad 12v supply line to the solenoid

Funny thing...i was having starter issues and band aided it by putting in a hot start relay,,i took that out of the system but still no start..It was acting extremely unruly about starting (starter would spin but not engage and sometimes just clicked...especially when hot) so I cleaned some relay contacts thus my question about starter relay on fusebox, I changed out the DME and that didnt help

Quick Reply: Does 964 C2 have a starter relay