Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are all PPIs pretty much the same?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 12:45 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Received 203 Likes on 124 Posts
Default Are all PPIs pretty much the same?

Wondering if each dealer/shop does their own version of a PPI. I assume there is not a standard form that Porsche uses as their checklist for doing a PPI. My guess is they all have their own things that they look at and check and it varies depending who does it. I'm sure you can request them to check something specific if you need, but otherwise they give the car a good "once over" and tell you if they found anything obvious. Is a leakdown test usually done in a PPI? I'm guessing you would have to pay extra for it. Anyone have a rough estimate on what a PPI costs and also a leakdown? I have found a car I may have inspected. Just wondering. Thanks
Old 11-04-2011, 01:12 PM
ja78911sc
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was quoted 300.00 by an independent shop and 600.00 plus from the Porsche dealer on my 964 which included a leak test.

I had to specifically request a leak test when speaking with both shops.

Most shops have a form. Ask for a copy of the form.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:16 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd go in knowing exactly what I wanted looked at. There are some RL threads and I put a spreadsheet up. It's here.
Old 11-04-2011, 01:47 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Not all the same. If you are planning on getting one, have the list of critical things you want checked and compare that with the shop's checklist.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:27 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the link to the things to look for in the PPI. If i get to that point i will try and track down a shop to have it done. Unfortunately the car I found is 2,000 miles away which makes it hard to check out, PPI, and get it home. Getting it home will be $1,800-2,000 just to have it shipped. It will have to be a very clean car at a good price to make it worth it.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In the UK i understand a PPI is no more than a MOT test (visual checks etc). However the leak down will give you useful info if its part of the PPI. Personally lots of parts on the car are expensive and regardless of a PPI your car could go wrong the next day or on the way home. I think that if you are mechanically minded don't bother, if you don't know your big end from your back end, get a little piece of mind from a PPI.

Last edited by Unkle; 11-04-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:54 PM
Grazie
Instructor

I found that, assuming you're working with reputable air-cooled porsche shops, they come in two main flavors - with and without leakdown. Cost is about double for the leakdown which makes sense as it is more time and effort. Key in my opinion is that the PPI is from a reputable shop that knows the cars and will give you a straight story. This forum is great for PPI shop recommendations.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:58 PM
morrisroad
Instructor

Location: Toronto, Canada,Planet Earth, Earth-Moon System, Solar System, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Observable Universe

I used Auto Critic for a remote PPI, http://www.usedcarinspections.com/. I was looking for someone in the area with lots of experience with simiar category of cars. He did his inspection and I spoke with him for about an hour. He also provided me with a checklist of items and notes. I used this information to negotiate the final price as he was able to identify things that could be easily missed in pictures (e.g. hairline windshield crack). Tire condition and so on. I was happy with the outcome.
Old 11-05-2011, 11:22 AM
ja78911sc
Pro

Originally Posted by 996scott
Thanks for the link to the things to look for in the PPI. If i get to that point i will try and track down a shop to have it done. Unfortunately the car I found is 2,000 miles away which makes it hard to check out, PPI, and get it home. Getting it home will be $1,800-2,000 just to have it shipped. It will have to be a very clean car at a good price to make it worth it.
Post the location of the car. I have visually inspected and drove cars in my area for members. I am sure you will be able to get someone to assist.

I would consider flying out and driving the car home
Old 11-05-2011, 03:34 PM
996scott
Rennlist Member

Thanks again for the info guys. For my peace of mind I will have a PPI and leakdown done on the car. The guy who owns it has had it 13 yrs and has had the same mechanic/shop work on it all 13 yrs. He said I can call the mechanic and speak with him about the car if I wanted. I guess I could have him do the PPI since he is familiar with the car. I would hope he is not biased about the car and could give me an honest evaluation. I would love to have someone check it out for me like you said ja78911sc. The car is in Wilmington NC. If i get close to buying it I will post and ask if anyone in the area could check it out for me. I have considered flying out and driving it back, but 2200 miles and probably 3 full days of my time is a lot. Still a possibility though. Hopefully I will have some more info soon and let you know.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:58 PM
Laker
Drifting

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hi,
You need a different, air cooled mechanic, to give it an independent PPI.
If the current mechanic says it is totally solid, then thats his PPI results.
There are a few on here from NC that will suggest other, reputable shops for a second set of eyes.
Hope it works out!
Old 11-05-2011, 04:28 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

There are a lot of good shops out there. Ask for recommendations on Rennlist for a good shop in your area and then talk to the owner about what is included and who will do the inspection. I bought a car and had the PPI done at a shop that was well known to me. I didn't speak with the owner of the shop about the PPI and sure enough, he was out of town and one of his mechanics did the inspection. Based on the PPI I had them do certain work. Within weeks I had to have it all redone because the guy doing the PPI and the subsequent repairs didn't know or didn't care. The shop owner offered to correct the work, but that was not practical given the distance I live from that shop. It was a costly mistake on my part.

Quick Reply: Are all PPIs pretty much the same?