Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hairline cracks in original paint, oxidation and paint correction-Warning Pic Heavy!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 01:27 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Hairline cracks in original paint, oxidation and paint correction-Warning Pic Heavy!

Many thanks to everyone who posted in response to my questions about Gurards Red paint correction.

The car is my son's 1990 Guards Red C2. I will be looking after it for him for a few years as he has just taken a job on the opposite coast.

My plan is it purchase a Porter Cable 7424 buffer with the appropriate pads and waxes and restore the paint, removing the oxidation that has taken hold over the past few months.

Here are the before photos taken yesterday showing the worst of the oxidation:

The car's service records indicate that both doors were resprayed in back in 1990 due to vandalism. The color match is good in daylight but at night under a low sodium lamp it's obvious that they have been repainted. The oxidation seems to be worse on the tops of the doors and on the spoiler.

As I washed the car yesterday I discovered that the roof and hood have multiple hairline cracks:

I have never noticed these before and am not sure if they are new or if they have appeared over time.

I want to clean and seal them but at this point I am concerned that the buffer might cause more harm that good.

Has anyone else had this issue with their 964? Should I worry that the buffer will rip up the paint?

This morning I thought I would see how the oxidation responds to a light hand buffing. I started with an old bottle of Mother's and a soft cloth:

The results after no more than 5 minutes of gentle polishing are extremely encouraging:

These areas will need a lot more work but the buffer should take care of it.

I'll post progress photos as I work on this job.
Old 09-25-2011, 02:02 PM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks good for such a simple process...

I use the Mother's 3 step cleaner / polish (or Glaze as it's sometimes called) / wax and think the results are very good. Nice shine, not too expensive. The only problem I find (with most waxes though - not just Mothers) is that it doesn't last very long... 2.5 months of regular washing has all the wax removed.

You definitely want to go to the polish step after this and then use a wax to protect all the hard work.

Good luck!
Old 09-25-2011, 09:03 PM
993James993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sithot
The cracks are bondo showing its age. Can't do much about that unless you strip the paint and get to the metal. Most body shops use too much of this stuff as they are forced by insurance companies to "turn out work" rather than "turn out good work". It comes down to money. Always does.

NEVER let them steer you to one of their "approved" body shops. Worst places on earth.
A few states have laws against this practice.

Steering is illegal in Virginia.
I could be wrong but I don't think this is Bondo. The door's were scratched and repainted when the car was relatively new and I have the original paperwork. Other than the cracks there is no evidence that the hood has ever been damaged or painted. The underside of the hood is pristine.

Quick Reply: Hairline cracks in original paint, oxidation and paint correction-Warning Pic Heavy!