Replace gear lever leather

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 06:44 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace gear lever leather

Has anybody managed this??

I bought the DIY kit from Type 911, I'm about to give up and order a new genuine complete lever. The leather seems too thick to squeeze under the plastic cap. I've tried trimming the excess leather and superglue but nothing seems to work...
Old 09-11-2011, 05:18 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Their kit looks similar to one i bought from ebay.

It was fiddly. I used talc on the rubber **** so the leather slipped over it more easily. It is a question of getting the right amount to fold over at the top, even all round. Then make a ring w index finger and thumb to evenly crimp in the leather, then push the front leg of the cap in, tuck in any bits which have escaped, then use your third hand to quickly press the cap in. I had to repeat several times before i was happy, i used a small screwdriver to tease the creases in leather to be nice and even allround.

I was lucky and nearly got it on the first attempt, i then spent an hour trying to replicate that trick, and finally improve on it, the longer you go the more the leather creases in the right places for you. Patience is key. I didn't use any glue, seemed like it would either set too slow and make mess or too fast and not allow adjustments.

Last edited by alexjc4; 09-11-2011 at 05:23 AM. Reason: typo
Old 09-11-2011, 03:37 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

You must be more skilled / patient than me! I tried all that. You need the dexterity of a gymnast and the patience of a saint. £140 for a new one me thinks.....
Old 09-12-2011, 04:54 AM
alexjc4
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lol, i found swearing loudly helped. But yes for the extra oner the full factory option is less likely to cost you your sanity.

When i finally got mine fitted i realised they'd sent me a 944 one which has a thicker stalk on the ****, oh the humanity, i needed a month to psyche myself to redo it.
Old 09-12-2011, 04:50 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

Only a month!? Worst thing is I was all set to do a 'how to' guide with photos! Thanks for your help Alex, you convinced me I am doing the right thing buying a new one!!

Quick Reply: Replace gear lever leather