Sponsored by:

Steve Wong Chip & B&B header/Muffler review

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2011, 04:36 PM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steve Wong Chip & B&B header/Muffler review

Hello all. I thought I would share my Steve Wong chip & B&B Exhaust experience. I am not a mechanic so if I say something that seems "stupid" please forgive me

As some of you know, I just had my engine rebuilt (top/bottom). I had put a little over 1000 miles on it since the rebuild and It was running like a top except it would idle slow at stop lights and ocassionally, the low oil pressure light would come on. This would only occur when I was at a red light for long periods etc.

I took it into Foreign Exchange (my mechanic here in dayton, OH) and he installed a new oil pressure sensor (no charge) and did some additional investigation. I had a performance grind on my cams, heads machined and B&B headers with a performance muffler put on during the rebuild. The headers were causing the engine to run lean (maybe all the factors were also contributing). This really only showed itself (I thought) during stop light idling. It pulled very hard to 4K RPM (and very quickly). I didn't take it over 4K RPM until after about 500 miles. Then, I would take it to 5000 RPM. From 4K to 5K RPM, WOWZER!!! It took off like a turbo just kicked in. I mean it was like a bat out of hell.

A little over 1000 miles, I took it to 6000 RPM. From 4K to 6K RPM, it howled and pulled like you wouldn't believe. The exhaust note is TREMENDOUS!!!

It also "cackles" on the over run and pop pop pops when you slow down. Man is it sweet. I would HIGHLY recomend B&B headers and performance muffler. I'll pull into a gas station and just give the exhaust a tap under the awning and every eye turn towards my car. You see cars in the review jockying to get behind the porsche so they can hear it cackle.

Back to the running lean...Rick at Foreign Exchange did some things to try to bring the RPM's up at idle. Bottom line is he said I needed a chip to mesh all the mods together (cams/headers/performance muffler). He contacted Steve Wong and gave him "readings" and Steve put together a chip for my car. The chip came in on Tuesday and was installed this past Wednesday afternoon. Rick called my on Thursday saying to come pick my car up. He was just about giggling.

WOW, It is a new car! It pulls from idle to 4K RPM as strong as it used to pull from 4K - 6K RPM. Just tap the accelerator and it GOES. It seems to come on cam instantly. From a stop, It pulls like a big block V8. Even my buddy who took me to pick up the car IMMEDIATELY noticed from the passenger seat.

Overall, I would estimate it added about 20 horsepower (seat of my pants - totally guessing). However, it took the available horsepower and divided it equally form 1000 RPM to 6000 RPM. There is no noticible surge above 4K now. It just pulls like a freight train from a stop all the way to red line - evenly. It is a joy to drive.

Stars - 1-5
Steve Wong Chip: 5-Star with 5-star service
*B&B headers/muffler: 5-Stars

*It can be loud. Wife likes it but she wouldn't go on a three hour road trip with me now. I asked her what she thinks about the sound and she said, "Now it sounds like a sports car."

Above 4000 RPM, it howls like a Ferrari.

My 11 year old son loves it

My guess (actually Rick at Foreign Exchanges guess) is that it has about 350 HP at the crank. We'll soon find out as I am going to have it dyno'd.

Rick at Foreign Exchange has done a great job and I highly recomend him to work on any Porsche in the Dayton, Cincinnati or Columbus area.
Old 09-05-2011, 07:43 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad to hear that you're happy with your recent upgrades. I'm almost in the same boat but put in 993 RS intake and exhaust valves along with the hotter cams, sport cat and no secondary muffler, along with the SW chip. I've yet to get the car remapped but identified with your write-up as to how the car pulls. My mechanic overcame the leaning out that occurred by disconnecting the O2 sensor, which made it run way better...still, a proper remap is in order.

Now, not to pop your Labor Day Happy Bubble, but it's my understanding that it's very hard to get more than 300 hp out of the 964 engine while still using stock fuel injectors so I for one will be very curious as to what you pull on the dyno...I suspect you'll be closer to 280 hp then 350 hp. That is if you've only done what you've outlined in your posting. If you've done other things that aren't mentioned, then consider my tongue stilled.

I'm hoping for 280 hp with my mods but would love to get to the 300hp zone! I will post my dyno when I get the remap done, probably in October.

Last edited by August West; 09-05-2011 at 07:48 PM. Reason: inclusion of more information
Old 09-05-2011, 08:46 PM
fiskarflugen
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just picked up a pair if B&B headers and am looking for the best muffler choice. Can you be more specific as the make and set-up of the muffler? How about a pic if possible too. Thanks!!
Old 09-05-2011, 09:16 PM
KaiB
Banned

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I suspect you'll be closer to 280 hp then 350 hp

Much more like it, but a nice number nonetheless...
Old 09-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

Damn....each day finds me closer to buying a SW chip
Old 09-05-2011, 10:19 PM
KaiB
Banned

Originally Posted by Babalouie
Damn....each day finds me closer to buying a SW chip
I'm also very pleased with mine, from Rennsport Systems, our Steve Weiner.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:00 AM
power_up
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KaiB
I'm also very pleased with mine, from Rennsport Systems, our Steve Weiner.
Very little inform obtain about S. Weiner one. Most are Wong. Can you tell me more about it? I also contacted S. Weiner and planned to get one.
Thanks.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:29 AM
KaiB
Banned

A quick search here will let you know how valuable a resource Weiner is here.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 AM
GuyMonnin
Advanced

Well, whether it's 280, 350 horsepower (or somewhere in between), I guess it really doesn't matter as it feels plenty powerful enough for me

I will get model number of my exhaust parts and post.
Old 09-06-2011, 01:49 PM
StanUK951
Burning Brakes

That's what I thought Guy. Everybody would love to know power outputs and that the higher their number the better but, if you're happy with the performance it doesn't matter! Enjoy it!
Old 09-07-2011, 09:52 AM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

b * b headers and custom muffler on mine - interested to hear how it sounds
Old 09-07-2011, 10:11 AM
Smokey7766
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

glad to hear you didn't sell your car guy....isn't it amazing now that you have driven it more that the smile factor wins again?...sounds like yours is pretty much ear to ear...you know a video with sound might be in order here....show us what you are hearing....

waiting to see your dyno....
Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 509 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by g-50cab
b * b headers and custom muffler on mine - interested to hear how it sounds
That's an interesting muffler, where did it come from?
Old 09-07-2011, 01:49 PM
g-50cab
Drifting

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

parts attic at Bert Smith in St. Pete... they were going to toss it - it's an eberspaecher muffler pretty sure it came off a mercedes
Old 09-07-2011, 03:45 PM
PorscheZen
Rennlist Member

place photo of your car here so my fantasizing can be complete

Quick Reply: Steve Wong Chip & B&B header/Muffler review