Sponsored by:

Cab top woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2011, 05:26 PM
hawk911
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cab top woes

effing thing would almost cause me to sell the cab and buy a turbo, but it's just swapping one problem for another... or so I tell myself.

the history- last year the driver's side frame snapped. My guess at the time was that one side's motor had failed, causing the unevenness and subsequent snap if the B pillar. Side has been repaired, and all the pieces back in the proper places. Now I'm trying to figure out what's not right.

What I do know, or have done.

1. Driver's side rear motor cable was short- did the cable fix by removing about _____ that much of the cable housing and wrapping it with tape.
2. Have all the bolts loose on the mid-car adjustments right by the B-pillar, in fact it's part of the B pillar mounting.
3. Have the bolts loose by the passenger side transmission loose to align the top.
4. The passenger side front motor won't unlock the top
5. I have no idea where to go from here.
6. Can someone post a picture of both left and right side transmissions and brackets going to the top? trying to figure out if mine is off.

Any ideas?

keywords: Cabriolet cable motor switch transmission

Last edited by hawk911; 09-03-2011 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:51 PM
hawk911
Race Car

I think I have it figured out, just not sure how to fix it. The gear in the transmission is only 1/2 a circle, and my gear has come off the track itself. I'm not sure where to restart the gear on the assembly so it's properly aligned.
Old 09-03-2011, 08:59 PM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I found this thread really helpful

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...sting-diy.html

Hope it helps.
Old 09-03-2011, 09:50 PM
hawk911
Race Car

it's not the electrical, it seems. The transmission is in the wrong spot, and now I've busted off one of the nuts that holds the trans to the body. 1 step forward, 3 back.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
I think I have it figured out, just not sure how to fix it. The gear in the transmission is only 1/2 a circle, and my gear has come off the track itself. I'm not sure where to restart the gear on the assembly so it's properly aligned.
Easiest way I found was to remove both transmissions, dismantle them and set them both up at mid-point. Its not a difficult job but, to re-install them, you will need a "helper" to hold the raised hood in place (about vertical) while you reconnect the drive arms.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:05 AM
hawk911
Race Car

so you put the top at a mid point, and then put the gear at a mid point also?
Old 09-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hawk911
so you put the top at a mid point, and then put the gear at a mid point also?
Because the quadrant gears will be at mid-position, it follows that the hood will need to be at mid position (ish) to reconnect the crank arm at each gearbox where the 19mm bolt is. The crank has a machined "key" to align them to the gearbox so they need to be right for tightening. The hood only needs to be positioned when reconnecting. When I did mine (a few years ago) I kept the hood closed (but unlatched) to give the best access to the gearboxes.
Old 09-04-2011, 04:47 PM
CabrioArtie
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

When I aligned my top after the cable started slipping, I closed the top completely (latched totally) with the transmissions disconnected from the top. Then I positioned the half moon gear in the transmission to the proper side of the gear on each side. Then attached the transmissions to the car and with a drill attached to the end of the transmission cable (the motor side) ran the drill back/forward until the cab top arm aligned with the slot in the transmission. Did the same for both sides and once aligned tightened the bolt/arm to the transmission.

Let me know if you have any questions, its been 2 years and I haven't had any issues, so I guess I aligned it properly.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:44 PM
hawk911
Race Car

but what's the proper side of each gear?

Quick Reply: Cab top woes