Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any ideas on oil cooler fan fuse (#2) keep blown up?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011 | 01:27 AM
power_up
Racer

Default Any ideas on oil cooler fan fuse (#2) keep blown up?

Hi,
Today I notice my oil temperature higher than normal. Then I get down the car and checked the oil cooler fan is not working. Then I checked that the #2 30A oil cooler fan fuse was blow up. I then replaced the fuse with the powered seat one which is also 30A for emergency checking. However, it just blow at once when I turn the key to ON position.

Any rennlist got idea whats going wrong? Thanks for help.
Old 08-29-2011 | 12:35 AM
Babalouie
Burning Brakes

If you replaced the fuse when the engine is cold (ie when the fan wouldn't be on anyway)...does it still blow the fuse when you turn the engine on?

I'm wondering if it's the ballast resistor. That's a gizmo made out of ceramic, and with age, the creamic can crumble away, leaving the live wire to touch the bodywork and short. But that'll only blow the fuse when it's trying to power up the fan tho (ie when the oil is hot).
Old 08-29-2011 | 05:20 AM
power_up
Racer

Thanks for you reply.
I didn't try when cold. I will try to replace the fuse when cold to see it will blow the fuse again. Thanks for reminding.

Originally Posted by Babalouie
If you replaced the fuse when the engine is cold (ie when the fan wouldn't be on anyway)...does it still blow the fuse when you turn the engine on?

I'm wondering if it's the ballast resistor. That's a gizmo made out of ceramic, and with age, the creamic can crumble away, leaving the live wire to touch the bodywork and short. But that'll only blow the fuse when it's trying to power up the fan tho (ie when the oil is hot).

Quick Reply: Any ideas on oil cooler fan fuse (#2) keep blown up?