Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

964 C4 vs Ferrari 348 TS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 09:29 AM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Hear hear! I'm coming to terms with the fact that for true driving fun - the older cars are it. Yes, I do appreciate that my new BMW can read me my email on the go (that actually IS really cool) and that the ABS keeps the brakes dry in the rain - but for go fast, involving FUN - the 911 is still the best. (IIRC - I've been without mine for 2 months now as I get the accident damage and a new engine put in it)
Old 12-18-2012, 12:28 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm adding the final chapter to this thread - it's the final chapter because the new owner drove the car away today.

It's 6 months since I last gave an update, and the car was generally reliable during that time - with just one or two issues.

When I came to service it, I discovered that the gearbox dipstick thread was stripped. This is a reasonably common problem - at the time, I simply measured the amount I drained out - which matched the documented capacity - and put the same amount back in. My intention was to get the stripped thread sorted at the next engine out service.

The other fault was a perfect example of Murphy's law. When I advertised it for sale, I had one genuine buyer come to see the car almost straight away. I started the car up, pulled it out of the garage and left it idling while he took a look around. Then stopped it while we had a bit more of a chat about the car - and then we decided to take it out for a run / test drive. Got in, turned the ignition and...... nothing. No starter attempt at all.

A quick check over proved that everything basically seemed OK but the starter didn't turn. A simple tap with a hammer on the starter and it immediately fired up. It's never done it before and never done it since (it's probably been started 30-40 times since then) - but it's obviously a sign that the starter has begun to stick.

He didn't buy the car - and in fact, I removed the ad after it had been advertised for only about 10 days. But, on the forum somebody mentioned they were looking for one - I mentioned mine - and after viewing a number of cars he concluded mine was the best (obviously I knew that from the beginning ) and he bought it today. I warned him about the starter issue, but I suspect it will be a while before he suffers a problem with it again.

So, after fairly positive comments - why did I sell?

To be honest, there is no strong reason - but it is a little bit of a mental thing. I tend to maintain a "car fund" which I pay into each month, and that - in theory - pays for maintenance, insurance, road tax / MOT etc for both my cars - basically, all running costs except petrol. When I bought the Ferrari, I estimated that I should now be putting away £500 per month. However - when it came to insuring both cars at the start of September, I found that the car fund was empty and I had to pay the insurance from elsewhere.

I increased the monthly payment into the car fund to £600. The difference is pretty negligible, and really not that significant - but it brought home to me the simple fact that I'd spent £6,000 on running my cars that year - and it wasn't enough. And that started the seed of doubt.....

In reality - although I bought a very good car there were a few things I had to sort out after purchase, and that meant the first year was probably a bit more expensive than the next year would be. However - it was also a "minor" service year - and in 18 months, it would be the engine out major - which would obviously bump the cost up a bit. I go through phases of thinking I spend too much on cars, and it just so happened that during this phase there was somebody around to buy it.

Overall, my view has not changed though - and is very positive. I have no regrets about buying it, and there is no question that it's the most fun car I've owned. Go kart handling down the twisties, and a glorious noise when you rev it to the red line. And better built than I'd expected.

Currently, I have no plans to replace it - although I suspect I may waiver when summer arrives (if we get summer next year - we didn't this year!). But, I doubt it will be my last Ferrari.

For those of you who have it on your list of future things to do - I heartily recommend it.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:48 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i could have/should have bought one of these over the summer...it was down in atlantic city...had around 3K miles on it and sold for around 35K. would have been a fun toy...
Old 12-18-2012, 12:56 PM
Rally Guy
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

Yowza - that one sounds like a deal - any info? I'm still fully on the hunt and DaveK's posts just encourage me.

Save for a space issue - I'll be able to keep the C2, so I'll have the chance to do lots of back to back comparo stuff.

My one concern at the moment is the approach angle of the ramp for my office underground parking - any comments on that, DaveK or others with 348 experience?

RK
Old 12-18-2012, 01:09 PM
swesna
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Rally Guy
Yowza - that one sounds like a deal - any info? I'm still fully on the hunt and DaveK's posts just encourage me.

Save for a space issue - I'll be able to keep the C2, so I'll have the chance to do lots of back to back comparo stuff.

My one concern at the moment is the approach angle of the ramp for my office underground parking - any comments on that, DaveK or others with 348 experience?

RK
nah...someone smarter than i pulled the trigger first.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by Rally Guy

RK
I suspect the 348 is lower than the 964 at the front - but actually, it's not too bad. My turbo front scrapes more often than the 348 did.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:54 PM
GOTSPD2
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I read the OP's experience with his 348 with great interest. I had a similar experience with a 2006 Maserati GranSport. I kept it for a year and then decided while it was fun in some ways (fast, great engine and exhaust noises, ego), it just wasn't worth the risk associated with owning it. Parts for it were quite expensive (clutch is $5K) and I just couldn't get comfortable with the thought of putting that much $ into a car that wasn't going to appreciate in value. I bought a 996TT a few months ago and have already put many times the money into repairs that I did into the Maserati, but somehow, I'm okay with that. ?? Part of that was that I got a good deal on the Pcar.
Old 12-18-2012, 02:40 PM
BillyB
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Sometimes the worry about something expensive going wrong, even if it doesn't, ruins the whole ownership experience of a car.

But it sounds like you enjoyed your time with the 348, even if it was a little expensive. Thanks for the write-ups. I enjoyed them.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:12 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

If the windshield wipers clean off the water on the driver's side better than the Pcar, then I'll pick up a couple Fcars.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:17 PM
DaveK
Race Car

Originally Posted by jody stowitts
If the windshield wipers clean off the water on the driver's side better than the Pcar, then I'll pick up a couple Fcars.
Er.... I wouldn't rush to buy one then.....

To be fair, they probably do - but mine was due some new wipers. In proper rain they were absolutely fine, but in light rain they smeared more than cleared.
Old 12-18-2012, 05:21 PM
Nine11
Three Wheelin'

I had a similar situation, had my 964 and wanted company in the garage, so I picked up a 2000 Lotus Esprit V8TT and then a 1972 BMW 2002. Ended up selling the Esprit and the 2002...kept the 964. I liked the other cars a lot, never truly loved them as much as the 911. With limited time to enjoy all 3 cars, I had to pick one and the 964 was it. While the running costs wasn't a major contributing factor, the cost of ownership is high when you factor in money, time, and space.

Quick Reply: 964 C4 vs Ferrari 348 TS