Sponsored by:

OIL SMOKE AT START UP AFTER A MONTH PARKING

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:36 PM
964enthus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OIL SMOKE AT START UP AFTER A MONTH PARKING

I'll try to reactivate this old thread !!
i've been reading all the related posts again and I cannot find (in my view!) a satisfactory explanation as to what happens exactly when oil seeps into the cylinder,where it burns and creates that cloud of smoke
Some say it is oil in the crankcase slowly getting into the cylinder (but then as the oil level in the crankcase si designed not to reach cylinder bottom level ,I suppose that this oil has come somewhere else .From where then ?)
some say it is oil getting into the intake (but as tthe oil level in the tank is under the intake level ,this would mean some sort of siphoning somewhere ?)
maybe it is something like a non return valve in one of the oil pipes which is ever so slighly leaking ?
I have looked at the parts diagram and there are 2 diagrams to carefully look at :"oil supply chain adjuster" and "crankcase bleeding ".I unfortunately do not quite understand what these do exactly,but might something faulty there explain the seeping ?
This WHITE CLOUD OF SMOKE AT START UP AFTER LONG TERM PARKING seems to be a common issue for most of us and nobody seems to have been able to find a solution
I personnally do not feel happy with this big cloud of smoke bellowed after amont sitting in the garage .I do not like it and passers -by frown at it .it's time we address this issue seriously ,don't you think?
Peter
Old 08-21-2011, 02:15 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It is my understanding and personal experience, that the oil will drain from the oil tank back into the engine crankcase, when stored for longer periods of time. I have drained the oil on a hot engine and only got 2 liters out of the crankcase, where as on a cold engine that sat for a while, I got about 3 times the amount. Another tell tale is when you start the engine after it sat for a few days, you will hear the splashing of oil being pumped back into the tank.
In other words, what you see is quite normal for these types of engines, however I found that idleing the engine for a minute or two before you shut it down, seems to minimize the smoke on cold start up.
Another possibility is worn valve guides and/or your rings needs replacement, but lets hope NOT.

PS. I used to get a fair bit of smoke on start up, it was oil dripping from the power steering pump drive/cam seal into the right side heat exchanger, since I fixed it, no more smoke.

Last edited by crg53; 08-21-2011 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:26 PM
964enthus
Advanced

This is a very interesting statement ,Steen
So ,for you ,the seepage would come from the crankcase ,and this would rule out the intake avenue
in my case ,the smoke is clearly coming from the exhaust pipe ,not from the heat exchanger
I 'll try the one minute idling option ,but to be fair ,it probably already takes nearly one minute to get down from the drive into the garage ,at virtually idle speed
Now ,do you have any idea about the way the oil took to get into that crankcase ?
Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

No, I don't know how the oil gets back into the crank case, I did post my concerns on here and was told "that is normal". Looking at the picture below, I can see several possibilities, but I am not certain.
Attached Images  
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM
964enthus
Advanced

yes ,I had a look at the same diagram and the 2 following ones
If only we could understand how the oil gets back into the crankcase,maybe we could stop that happening 9replace non return valve,lift one side of the car ,stop siphoning ....
Not only cloud of smoke makes our cars really look old ,but also ,this oil glut when the cat is cold must damage it

Quick Reply: OIL SMOKE AT START UP AFTER A MONTH PARKING