Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly does the spoiler control module do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 AM
Jeremy G
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy What exactly does the spoiler control module do?

Hi,

I posted a while back about problems I am having with my spoiler on my 1990 C2 Cab. Completely non functioning, following a winter of sitting outside in the rain, snow, frost etc (the car, not me). This has meant that the pool of water that has collected in the driver's side footwell (leaky roof) and I think this has cooked either the spoiler relay (part no 96461814200) or the control module itself (part no 96461821200). The relays are under the driver's seat as this is a 1990 RHD car (later models have these components up under the dash).

My question is, how can I test the relay, and then the spoiler module? I can't hear the relay clicking, so am assuming I need to replace that (new one on the way to me).

But what about the spoiler control module? How can I test that? At the moment, the warning light comes on at 50mph to indicate failure of the spoiler raising, and stays on until standstill. Does the spoiler control module send the failure signal, or is this more likely to indicate that the control module is at fault?

Any help greatly received as ever ...

Jeremy.

PS: Anyone have a spare spoiler control module they would be willing to sell??
Old 08-16-2011, 11:20 PM
bcr4d
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well I had a problem with my spoiler, would't raise at 50 mph following with the warning light coming on. I replaced the spoiler control, on my car 90 it was located under the seat, and now works like a charm. Since you said it was exposed to the weather I would check to see if the tiny transmission that raises the spoiler is binding. Just disengage the tiny cable from the motor and with a pair plyers or with your hand see if it turns. If it doesn't more than likely there's your problem. If it does I would check the motor that the cable hooks into. How I check the motor was operate it with the switch and have someone see if it turns. Ask me how I know, I tried them all and it turned out to be the control. Although in your case it could well be the tiny transmission that raises the spoiler due to the fact that you said it was exposed to the elements. There is a DIY write up at P-Car.com. Good luck
Old 08-20-2011, 11:07 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If it sat in the elements for a long time without being operated, I'll bet the speedometer-like cable that connects the motor to the transmission needs lubrication............ just for a staring point. Just pull the cable out of the transmission and try to operate the motor with the switch. If you're not getting anything from the motor by operating the switch, apply external power to the motor to assure it's running properly. Then check the drive cable, transmission and gears, using the external power if necessary. If all these are working on external power, then you know you have a controller problem.

If the controller sat in water without being operated, then was allowed to dry out before power was applied, the problem could be that the controller relay contacts have corroded / frozen shut. If you pull the cover off the controller, you'll see two box-like relays on the corner / pin end of the board. They have tiny contacts, similar to old fashioned ignition points. Check to see if they're frozen. You can clean them by inserting a folded piece of VERY fine sandpaper and wiggling it around a little.

If power was applied to the controller before it dried out, I'd suggest you just get the charge card out first and save yourself from troubleshooting any further, thus minimizing the frustration. (Does it sound like I went through all this once?)
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: What exactly does the spoiler control module do?