Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Testing Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM
plambert
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Testing Oil Pressure Sending Unit?

How do I check if the sending unit is working correctly? I just had a new one installed, but it does not jibe with the readings from a mechanical pressure gauge.

I read somewhere that, if the unit is bad, the pressure gauge will shoot to 5 bars when the ignition is on (but before starting the engine). Can anyone verify this?

TIA for your help,

Phil
Old 08-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Pressure senders are simple inside. They have a variable resister. The resistance drops as the pressure goes up. When I bought my coupe, someone had hooked up the pressure sender backwards. The oil pressure gauge would peg as soon as you turned on the ignition. After some troubleshooting, I discovered the wires were reversed. I swapped them and the oil pressure and oil light began working properly.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:09 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocket Rob
Pressure senders are simple inside. They have a variable resister. The resistance drops as the pressure goes up. When I bought my coupe, someone had hooked up the pressure sender backwards. The oil pressure gauge would peg as soon as you turned on the ignition. After some troubleshooting, I discovered the wires were reversed. I swapped them and the oil pressure and oil light began working properly.
General FYI.........

An aftermarket replacement I bought did the same thing. The distributor and manufacturer replaced it for free, but the replacement did the same thing. I found that the manufacturer had reversed the small and large spade connectors from what is standard for our cars (the manufacturer did this because the opposite orientation works on some other models that this sender fits). Upon close inspection, the terminals were labeled on the bright plated cup shaped enclosure, but you really have to look for them and compare to the original. I suggested that to the mf'g. that they include a notice in the box alerting future customers to this anomaly, but who knows if they decided to do that.

Last edited by altarchsa; 08-07-2011 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-05-2011, 04:23 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

I noticed the replacement that I purchased a few years ago had the spades backwards too. I had forgotten that.

Quick Reply: Testing Oil Pressure Sending Unit?