Sponsored by:

Mystery brake fluid leak

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2011, 09:28 AM
klr10
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mystery brake fluid leak

Hi everyone, haven't posted for a while as I've been moving house and my C4 has been sadly neglected in its new garage next to the house.

I hadn't driven her since last summer as she had decided to dump a load of brake fluid onto the garage floor. I also had an oil leak issue which has resulted in a load of new pipes and a new oil cooler which has had the added benefit of solving my slight overheating issue.

Turns out the old oil cooler was totally caked in oily sludge and the temps are much better now.

Anyway, I wonder if you guys could help with the brake issue? The puddle of fluid came from the front under the ABS unit and has bubbled all the paint under the battery area. I refilled and have been trying to see where it is leaking with no success.

The level stays high when I refill and is fine for a day or so, then the level drops to minimum overnight when parked in the garage with a new puddle under the car. The booster pump and switch are dry as is the bomb and ABS unit.

I've tried using a light around the ABS unit and pumping the pedal with the engine running. The brakes are behaving normally except for warning lights when the car is started after its nocturnal fluid dump.

Can't see where its leaking from.... weird, anyone seen this before? Any ideas?

Thanks guys as always for your much appreciated support,

Keith
Old 07-26-2011, 05:14 AM
Harry Apps
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just musing, is the fluid dump under the reservoir overflow pipe (or has the pipe/reservoir been blanked)? When parking in the garage, it may be worth exhausting the pressure (pump the pedal) to see if it still happens - ie pressurised/non-pressurised leak.

H
Old 07-27-2011, 02:41 AM
klr10
Racer

Thanks for the ideas Harry, I'll try that. Car is at my Indy (PSR in Bishops Stortford) having a once over, hoping they'll find the problem. I'll post their findings. So far had both the long side oil pipes, oil cooler and various other shorter oil pipes changed, new brake pads, oil and filter and rocker cover seals. Really hoping the weather brightens up soon so I can really appreciate her.

I intend to start using her a lot more than I have been which is something I should have been doing. Paul at PSR tells me that his most reliable 864's are the ones used as daily drivers and driven hard.

Need to stop worrying and start driving.
Old 08-16-2011, 10:38 AM
klr10
Racer

Default Problem solved!!!

OK, it was the plastic pipe that feeds the brake booster pump. Apparently it was missing a support bracket and had been rubbing against something. So while the pump was running it appears the damn thing wasn't leaking but as soon as I stopped..... Daniel at PSR gets a round of applause, they now need to check the booster pump has not been damaged as it was sucking in small amounts of air.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:17 PM
Indycam
Nordschleife Master

The pump will not be damaged by sucking in air .
Old 08-17-2011, 04:23 PM
klr10
Racer

Thanks Indycam, really pleased if that's the case. Apparently the hole in the pipe was very small and hard to see, such a relief to find the cause. Can't wait to take the car out for a blast hopefully this weekend.

Quick Reply: Mystery brake fluid leak