Sponsored by:

Calgary to Pebble Beach Concours

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM
steve100
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Calgary to Pebble Beach Concours

I'm hoping the 964 will be out of the shop with a new suspension and what is looking like a rebuilt transmission in time to take a trip to Monterey for the week of festivities surrounding the Pebble Beach Concours.

Looking for help on two fronts:

- The best roads to take once we are in the States. I know we'll need to be on the Interstate at times to make time but would love to find some gems that still head south albeit with a few twists and turns. We'd cross into Montana or Washington to start. I've always dreamed of H1 from Oregon down but not sure if that is now bumper to bumper RV's.

- Best car things to do while in Monterey. Currently I'm thinking the McCall show at the Jet Center, Motorsport Reunion at Laguna, and Pebble Beach Concours. I've only ever read about the shows and always marvel at all the action after the fact. If people had some advice and experiences to share I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:16 AM
ValveFloat
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure if its on your route or not, but you could go through Glacier park, then 35 from Columbia Falls, MT to 200 into Missoula. 12 from Missoula to Lewiston, ID is a nice road as well.

Have fun!
Old 07-21-2011, 12:17 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have done a lot of traveling on motorcycles all over the western USA and my very favorite stretch of road is highway #36 from Redding or Red Bluff California to Highway #101 near the coast. CLICK HERE to find location. If you have a chance, give it a try and I can promise you, your arms and feet will be tired from shifting, braking, turning, accelerating, but you will have the biggest smile ever when finished.
Old 07-21-2011, 02:41 PM
August West
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 on HWY 12 over Lolo Pass. Also Beartooth Highway from Red Lodge, MT, through the northeast corner of Yellowstone, then down to Jackson Hole pass the Grand Tetons. Also HWY 36 mentioned above. Pacific Coast Highway is incredible and RV congestion definitely tapers off after Labor Day, the first weekend in September.

I live very near HWY 36 and would recommend that if you come that way, then take HWY 101 through the Redwoods, even popping off on The Avenue of The Giants, 33 miles of two-lane through the tallest trees in the world. Back on 101, then to Leggett where HWY 1 peels off and rejoins the Pacific Coast Highway. Now, the stretch from Leggett out to the coast is one of the finest maintained and most awesomely curvaceous piece of tarmac you'll ever find. Bring Dramamine for your passengers if they get car sick.

Then it's Pacific Coast Highway through Fort Bragg, be sure to stop in the town of Mendocino, for lunch or evening stopover at one of it's many Bed and Breakfast's. Mendocino is a quaint Victorian seaside town...check it out!

You can take PCH all the way down to San Francisco...like I said, RV traffic will be way less after the beginning of September. Stunning vistas abound.

Once over the Golden Gate Bridge, you've got maybe 2-3 hours left before you get to Monterey. If you like cities, SFO is probably one of the best cities in the world to visit. If not, then move on, following HWY 1 all the way to Monterey.

If time permits on your return trip, there's always Tahoe, Yosemite, Wine Country in Marin, Sonoma, and Napa, Crater Lake in Oregon, etc.

Lots to do...keep in mind PCH is beautiful, but long and time-consuming but is easy to peel off of to find faster roads to drive on. PCH is also cooler temperature wise, so good for air-cooled engines that tend to get hot when the ambient goes up.

By the way, bring cooler weather clothes for PCH and for Monterey! Layers are best. California coastal weather is always cool, with temperatures rising quickly as you move away from the coast.

Lots of beautiful country down here! I'm hoping I'll make the Monterey event...we'll see!
Old 07-22-2011, 02:37 AM
steve100
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks so much for the tips! Greatly appreciated. I'll dig out the old fashioned maps and hi-liter this weekend and plot the course. Here's hoping the car is ready to go.

Quick Reply: Calgary to Pebble Beach Concours