Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fan shroud duct question

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:21 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUSeeOTE=Makmov;8716302]Not only, depends on if the system is all working and where the heater is set. Otherwise it blows out the wheel wells.[/QUOTE]

See my second post. I'm assuming the heater duct and fan are not to be reinstalled. Why block the duct off at all if you're leaving the heat system in place? If the heater system is not in place the hot air off the top of the engine will only be recirculated back onto the engine, not to the exterior.

Am I missing something?
Old 07-16-2011, 10:06 AM
yertyat
Rennlist Member

The ductwork and heat exchangers are all still installed. The heater blower is not going back in. I've found that I still get plenty of heat with just a heater bypass pipe. Enough to keep nice and toasty all year round including summer with no A.C. I made the block off plate when I had my car in for the installation of a non heat exhaust system (which ultimately didn't work) decided to leave it in place for now because I thought it looked cool and it keeps warm air out of the cabin... I still don't understand why the Rennline design is drilled w/ a hose coming out of it and why the fan shroud of the c4 lightweight has the screen..
Old 07-16-2011, 10:14 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by yertyat
I still don't understand...why the fan shroud of the c4 lightweight has the screen..
That's an interesting tidbit. Originally I was of the school that the vents in the block off plate served no rational purpose and indeed were at *cross*purposes to engine cooling. Knowing that the factory included them on one variation of parts is telling....
Old 07-16-2011, 10:22 AM
yertyat
Rennlist Member

Yea, makes me wonder if it has something to do with the alternator..
Old 07-16-2011, 01:15 PM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

I'm thinking that heat soak is the answer- run the car hard and shut it off, let the heat escape rather than keep it in there. The alternator would take it hard under those conditions....
Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 PM
crg53
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The way I see this; Porsche designed the engine shroud to include that route for air to go to the heating system; if you remove everything and just leave an open hole, the air from the engine fan will take the path of least resistance and blow less over the engine; if you insert a restrictor plate with holes that will fix that problem. It will also give the hot air on top of the engine a place to escape after the engine is shot off; it also gives you a chance to hook up a hose to blow air through the distributor and rear lights. JMHO

Old 07-16-2011, 02:12 PM
Unkle
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have noticed the heat (smoke) bellowing out through the fan after I switched off (degreased the engine and ran it for a few mins to burn off the degreaser). It managed to come out perfectly ok so would it need that hole?
Old 07-16-2011, 02:23 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

If the cabin heat duct system is installed, but the blower motor is not functional, I guess I can see how a plate with some holes might function as crude damper to allow the alternator fan to force some of the hot air from over the engine out through the wheel wells our into the cabin.This seems to defeat the design of the controls for the entire system though, and I can't understand why you would want a Porsche with this system being compromised. Its certainly not a performance mod.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:56 PM
yertyat
Rennlist Member

..regarding performance, the car is now 2805 lbs. and feels quite nimble. and as i stated earlier the heater blower bypass pipe will go back on after summer.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:43 AM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Please let us know how this works when you get it finished, especially with regard to engine temps. I think it would not be a good idea in our climate (100 degrees today).
Old 04-25-2013, 12:35 AM
c didy
Three Wheelin'

Received 225 Likes on 161 Posts

Revive-a-post. This is unfinished business.

Anyone ever figure out why they, including Porsche themselves, remove the duct, go to the trouble to cover the duct, then put holes in the cover or cut a window in the shroud thereby decreasing the volume of cooling air available to pass over the cylinder fins for engine cooling?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:03 AM
FeralComprehension
Rennlist Member

As long as we're putting that on the table, let's talk about the tire warmers too. WTH are there vents in my wheel-wells?!
Old 05-22-2017, 03:36 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Interested to revive this one again....
I would have been firmly in the camp that the heater hole needed to be blocked off to avoid wasting airflow from the primary fan, however:
I just completed a 3.6 swap on a G-body car with a carrera tail, and I wanted to drive it around the block for a quick test before I finished buttoning up the details. i closed the heater duct on the fan shroud with a latex glove, figuring that worst case it would blow off during operation. The actual outcome was the glove sucked INTO the shroud. I may do some more testing with a go pro, but if the fan shroud somehow has negative pressure in that zone, it makes more sense why porsche would have made a vented cover there... airflow into the shroud at that point would be a net gain for cooling.

Quick Reply: fan shroud duct question