Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I crazy? H&R reds versus US M030 springs.

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 06:59 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Am I crazy? H&R reds versus US M030 springs.

So now that I'm comfortable with the car and its use for me, I think I want to switch the springs back to M030.

First, the position - the V8 miata will be the autocross car in my stable, as it is significantly cheaper to run and will pushed as far as XP will allow anyways. I autocrossed the RSA a couple times . . . it was fun, but it's a slippery slope. First comes the alignment, then r compounds, then coilovers, sway bars, etc.

Second, I find that the car pushes on the street with the H&R reds. If I were to keep the H&R reds, I'd like to add a sway bar in the rear. Granted, my bump stops are pretty shot and I think my shocks are original.

Thus where I am now. I have already bought new Bilstein HDs, and I'm strongly considering using the M030 springs. It should understeer less, as the rear rates are the same and the fronts are significantly higher with the reds.

The biggest problem is that once I install the suspension I know that I will not have the patience to swap out the other set of springs if I don't like it. Any words of wisdom?

[edit] Another reason that I'm curious about switching back is to drive the car as Porsche designed it. They usually know what they're doing
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

IMHO the 030 springs are too soft and a compromise. I'd suggest a set of greens or eibachs...do you have the stock valving on the HDs?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:14 PM
UncleRemus
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

J, thanks for the feedback. I failed to mention that the only time I've driven a stock RSA was in 1993 - and it sure wasn't competitively.

Yes, the HDs are brand new and in the box. I wouldn't be opposed to revalving them and using stiffer springs, but I think I'm more concerned with the F:R balance than outright spring rate.

I suppose I could sum it up by saying that I'd prefer to spend MONEY making the miata faster and spend TIME driving the rsa on the street.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:48 PM
J richard
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 28 Posts

The rsa is effectively a c2 with the m030 suspension. It was way too soft for me stock. I have reds with matched valved HDs. They would be ok out of the box with the HR greens. The reds are good if you have smooth roads but the greens are a nice compromise. I ran with the stock m030 bars and it was ok except when really pushed on the track I'd pick up an inside front tire. The rs bars fixed that, but on the street the sport bars are fine. One of the biggest improvements in the HRs is getting the ride height down, not to mention the 4X4 look...

Quick Reply: Am I crazy? H&R reds versus US M030 springs.