Notices
964 Forum 1989-1994
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bodywork Repairs - Easter Ressurection back on the road...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 08:46 AM
oaros
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for that.

Your post is very helpful to 964 novices to get a basic understanding of the external appearance-internal reality relationship. At least some of the assumptions I have been using while looking for a 964 were close.

I also appreciate the oil leak-preservation connection, lessens my guilt on deferred body work.

If I got it right you went for a mechanical overhaul first and are now sorting out the body work. Was it a deliberate decision to take this pathway vs buying one that had all the work done? Do you feel you are getting a better car this way? Did you rebuild yourself?

I did this with my 928, bought one that needed work for the reason that I wasn't willing to pay for a garage queen. I have since found out that it was also a good decision on the quality front as all the work that had been done by "professional mechanics" was full shortcuts and sloppiness. I have also come to appreciate the work done by the few genuine pros out there.

So long story short, I hope to repeat this with a 964, overhaul mechanics myself - bodywork goes to a shop.
Old 09-11-2011, 07:48 PM
Blown Away
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought it cheap as I was really after a 993 at the time but didn't want to pay another £10k for a car which was going to need the same work done eventually. Basically, it was the right colour and decent spec.

I use it all year and it sits outside (It will move into the garage once the work is done though)

When i bought it, it had a few minor bubbles of rust but it was already in there and there was always something better to spend the cash on. Suspension to make it handle as the shocks had hardened up. Engine rebuild when the oil light came on in traffic - it did sound like it was of a much meaner state of tune than it was - when the heads came off, the valves had a fair bit of movement in the bores which explained the sound.

I always doubt what has really been done when people say engine rebuild. You really need to drill down to find out what was really done. For mine, it was a full case split from the crank out. I think if i was doing it again, i might look for one that had all the work done as it hasn't been cheap but i have had 50,000 miles of use over 6 years. If i had bought a 996/7, i would still be quids in with the 964.

Even before the work was done, the car still gets more of the right kind of attention than a new one.

Once the work is finished, I know the car will be properly sorted and I would't think twice about taking it on a blast round Europe.

As for doing the work my self, I don't have the time or the talent to be sure that any minor noise it made wouldn't signal immediate and catastrophic engine failure. Engine work by Jaz who have done all the other mechanical work and I can't fault them. No relationship, just a happy customer.

Would I change it, probably not unless a cracking 964 RS or a @ '73 2.4E or S came along.
Old 12-29-2011, 07:44 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Finally figured out how to get the membership payment to work... Rennlist Member! so more photos.

Repairs to the door frame where the door restraint had split the metal. Cut out and pieced in new section so keeping it as close to standard as possible.

Door skin stripped and exposed minor cracks on top edge, repaired and welded in new metal.

Minor bits of corrosion cut out and new metal pieced in.

New sill cover fixings and jacking points being fitted.
Attached Images      
Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Both front wings replaced. N/S - The one with the fuel filler cap - eventually arrived after Porsche knocking out a new batch. That has been the main reason for delay.

We reviewed the existing paint on the car and took the view that after two/three coats of paint were applied over the years from stone chip repairs, it was better to strip off all the old paint and start again. This would give a better finish and avoid the risk of any bad reaction applying new paint over old.

The area of wheelarch where the aluminium cover plate sits N/S (other side from the oil tank) has been repaired. This is where it rubbed against the rear wing and wore away the corrosion treatment and caused bi-metalic corrosion. The brown areas in the wheelarch are the original wax corrosion treatment coating.
Attached Images     
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Undergoing paint preparation. It looks very small in the paint booth with all the bits stripped off...
It just needs lifting onto the supports to do the underside.
Attached Images       
Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

A few bits of Baltic Blue return. Keeping it standard spec for a 90 car with the black on the PU. A really nice 997RS in the background.
Attached Images    
Old 12-29-2011, 08:31 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Baltic Blue paint returns... Just need to put it all back together now.
Attached Images            
Old 12-29-2011, 08:49 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

If you do it you might as well do it right.

Thanks for sharing and she's looking great this far. Waiting for the final result
Old 12-30-2011, 12:55 AM
jody stowitts
Racer

Man! I am diggin the "wild" blue color of those repair shop wheels! If you hadn't wanted to keep the correct color I'll bet you might have opted for the other blue. I know I would have been sorely tempted. CHEERS
Old 12-30-2011, 06:19 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

I think the wheels are Maritime Blue - Euro 964 RS colour which looks great. Also would consider Peppermint green or Rubystone.

Perhaps on my next one?
Attached Images    
Old 12-30-2011, 08:44 AM
boxsey911
Nordschleife Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

This is a great record of the work. Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures. I can appreciate the skill of the guys doing your work as my own car is also having some bodywork issues sorted out - rust under the screen and a rotten rear light box. Seeing the rust when they take parts off is quite scarey but it's then very heartening when you see what can be done to fix it.
Old 12-30-2011, 10:09 AM
oaros
Instructor

Thanks for continuing with your body restoration progress, interesting and educational for me.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:33 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

The reassembly has started....

Lots of little plastic bags of seals, fixings and other bits have arrived.

New windscreen sourced with new seals to be fitted.

A few bits still waited from Germany on special order.

New Rainbow CS speakers have arrived - look very sexy

May have to replace the marine blue door cards as the old ones are a bit warped.

Lots of Wurth cavity wax going in and treating the underside hidden areas.

Am still looking for the correct brown translucent underbody wax. Have some samples coming from Dinitrol which will hopefully be OK.

A few more pics of progress so far....
Attached Images       

Last edited by Blown Away; 01-27-2012 at 11:50 AM.
Old 01-27-2012, 11:37 AM
Lemass Automotive
Rennlist Member

looking good mate
Old 01-27-2012, 11:38 AM
Blown Away
Instructor

Some more pics...
Attached Images       

Quick Reply: Bodywork Repairs - Easter Ressurection back on the road...