Sponsored by:

A/C compressor troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 10:40 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts
Default A/C compressor troubles

Thanks for everyone's help on the CCU - the CCU and servos work.

Here's the funny issue (now). When the temp. is hot (97F+ and sunny), the A/C only works intermittently and today I was sweating my rear off. The compressor will cycle and sometimes it's cool, mostly it's warm.

When the temp. cooled down this evening (80F and not sunny), the A/C works great and the compressor stays engaged. I can actually cool off inside the car and get comfortable.

Now from what I've read from here and Pelican, there's a chance the R12 level might not be up to snuff and the pressures are incorrect. I mean yes, the compressor does engage so I know that it works in that capacity. But without working A/C during the daytime, the 911 is near-unbearable to drive.

Any advice? I've the correct refrigerant level figures, but what are the correct high/low pressures?

Last edited by Deserion; 06-26-2011 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:20 AM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 222 Likes on 176 Posts

Do you have access to the factory service manual? It has a refrigerant pressure table for both R-12 and R-134a. The desired pressure varies depending on the ambient temperature.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:36 AM
jimq
Burgled
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

is the condenser freezing up with high humidity
Old 06-30-2011, 10:06 PM
Deserion
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 39 Posts

My dad took it by the shop today and it turned out the compressor is leaking. Pity. So a new compressor and condenser (from what I was told, I may be wrong) are being installed and the system converted to R134a. It would make top-offs a breeze as R12 is becoming more expensive (and requiring licensing to purchase).

So we'll see how cold the A/C is tomorrow around noontime.

Quick Reply: A/C compressor troubles