Sponsored by:

962 at recent DE

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 11:38 AM
provoste
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 962 at recent DE

I thought you guys might be interested in some pictures of a 962 that was at Mid Ohio in April of this year. The 962 wasn't running right so it was only out on track for part of one session, which just happened to be when I was on track so I never got to hear it! Note the names listed, Hap Stiles was the entrant in the DE if my memory serves me correct (I'm certain it wasn't Jacky Ickx or Derrek Bell!) Note the Daytona Prototype (converted to open cockpit) ahead of the 962 in the one picture. Enjoy!
Attached Images    
Old 06-21-2011, 12:18 PM
KaiB
Nordschleife Master

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh my!!!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don Stiles lost another 962 to a garage fire a few years back. Maybe this is his replacement.
Old 06-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Who the hell takes a 962 to a DE???

And, how can I party with them?
Old 06-21-2011, 01:55 PM
Makmov
Drifting

You'd be surprised.

My bother took care of a 962 and a Camel Light car... you know it might have even been Stiles car that he took care of.

And we were at Road American and he had competition because there was another 962 there.

Oh and they know how to party. catered breakfast, catereed dinner with a live band. I had dinner with Elliott Ford Robinson, who asked if he could sit next to me. Many he had some stories to tell.

There was even a 993 Fabcar mid-engine as part of our little group.
Old 06-21-2011, 03:36 PM
morsini
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ken,

One word - Kojote.

Mike
Old 06-21-2011, 03:49 PM
Ken D
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Ah - got it. Thanks Mike.

Wish I were at that level. Someday, perhaps.....
Old 06-21-2011, 08:00 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Makmov
........................Elliott Ford Robinson..........................
I think it's "Forbes-Robinson". I was at the fence at Riverside in 1988 for the IMSA race that included a few of these 962's when I saw EFR crash a Nissan. He came to rest at a spot right in front of me. I did a search and found this vid that must have been shot from a platform behind me:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1e...-gtp-cras_auto

Contrary to the announcer's account, he actually broke his shoulder IIRC.
While he was still in the car, the crew ran up to the fence and I heard the Bridgestone rep whisper to one of them that EFR had reported that a tire blew at about 180.

I'm glad you reminded of this. It was the first race I had ever seen in person and the screeching tires and sights of that engine cover flying through the air were spectacular. I always regretted that I had just finished loading a new roll of film into my Nikon SLR and was advancing the film, so I missed the chance at a memorable shot. I had not told this story for many years and never even knew this You Tube vid existed. It was really cool to see it was captured from my vantage point and looks exactly as I remember it!

Ain't the www wonderful?
Old 06-21-2011, 08:03 PM
altarchsa
Three Wheelin'

Uh, to be accurate, Daily Motion, not You Tube....
Old 06-21-2011, 11:05 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by altarchsa
I think it's "Forbes-Robinson". I was at the fence at Riverside in 1988 for the IMSA race that included a few of these 962's when I saw EFR crash a Nissan. He came to rest at a spot right in front of me. I did a search and found this vid that must have been shot from a platform behind me:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1e...-gtp-cras_auto

Contrary to the announcer's account, he actually broke his shoulder IIRC.
While he was still in the car, the crew ran up to the fence and I heard the Bridgestone rep whisper to one of them that EFR had reported that a tire blew at about 180.

I'm glad you reminded of this. It was the first race I had ever seen in person and the screeching tires and sights of that engine cover flying through the air were spectacular. I always regretted that I had just finished loading a new roll of film into my Nikon SLR and was advancing the film, so I missed the chance at a memorable shot. I had not told this story for many years and never even knew this You Tube vid existed. It was really cool to see it was captured from my vantage point and looks exactly as I remember it!

Ain't the www wonderful?
Yeah, that's right I should have looked for sure. In any event, it was a really cool weekend.

Got to play with Porsches all week end including a 962 and a Porsche powered Camel Light great entertianment at one of the best tracks in the country Road America. Too bad it's out in the middle of nowhere land.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Makmov
Drifting

Originally Posted by altarchsa
Uh, to be accurate, Daily Motion, not You Tube....
I hadn't see that one before.

I remember the big Chip Robinson Nissan Crash. Almost carbon copied by Geoff

And the one where IIRC Brabham agian almost lands on a previously wrecked Nissan that was abondoned in the sand trap.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:25 AM
sturm
Racer

Wow! Don't see those at our DE's!!
Old 04-07-2012, 01:25 AM
DucDuc
8th Gear

I think the pix may be of a replacement car Hap got. I was not sure he was going to get another one after the Alpha car was lost in the fire along with the lights car and his 930 that I also did a lot of work on. The Alpha car was the last car constructed at factory and I want to say it was chassis #191

Coincidence, Derek Bell Drove for the Alpha team (I only know this because it came up when I had lunch with him Nashville 2 weeks ago) so Hap has had to 962s Derek drove now. I also think it is a new to Hap car because we always ran the short tail on the Alpha car. Not sure if we even had the long tail.

We also only ever ran the progressive titanium springs in the rear which this car does not have. Glad to see Don is till at it. Don Stiles, a.k.a. Hap got the name Happy when he was in the hospital as a baby, it has since been shortened.

This brings back a lot of memories, like the week we did at Road America MakMov, thanks to provoste for the post. The weekend you were there MakMov was the week after the 50/50 at the glen and is why I was looking after the car on my own. No else was crazy enough to go two weeks in a row to events 1000 miles apart in teh heat of summer. I had to prep the cars and change gears at KellyMoss in Madison - like I said memories
Old 04-15-2012, 12:50 PM
rivardcompe
Advanced

hello
do you know what happened to the remain of the burn 962
Old 04-15-2012, 01:43 PM
jody stowitts
Racer

What years were these from, and what was the engine used in these cars? I.e., how did they differ from a stock 964 engine.

Quick Reply: 962 at recent DE