Sponsored by:

oil thermostat position

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 02:55 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil thermostat position

Quick question on the oil thermostat orientation.

As far as i can tell there is only one 10mm nut on a rubber mounted stud holding the thermostat in place.
Looking at pictures of "normal" thermostats it appears that the drain plug end sits almost flush with the cut out in the bottom of the shark fin.
Mine sits about an inch higher and the rubber hose from the bottom of the tank to the thermostat is kinked as it bends. I've loosened off the 10mm nut but am unable to rotate the thermostat down to take out the kink. Am i missing something so that i can get rid of the kink?

(FWIW, the car seems to run at a normal temp so i don't think the oil flow is too restricted, but i still haven't experienced a really hot day yet.)
Old 06-08-2011, 04:19 PM
scped
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do not have the details at my desk, but there are 2 different models of thermostat (odd number and even?). The hose connections are slightly different, and you may have the hose for the "other" thermostat. That would explain the orientation and "kink"

-Scped
Old 06-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Rocket Rob
IHI KING!
Rennlist Member

Received 223 Likes on 177 Posts

Your thermostat is higher? Can you post a picture? I don't remember there being 1" of extra space in the rocker panel.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:58 PM
dfinnegan
Drifting

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Mine is high. Always has been. I replaced my oil tank last fall, and all of the rubber hoses, and made special sure to get the correct short pieces; I think!

Here's a pic taken from the right rear wheel looking forward
Attached Images  
Old 06-10-2011, 12:12 PM
frankvan
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave, mine is sitting a bit higher than yours but not much. The hose that is in the top part of the picture is kinked on mine.
On my previous 964 the bottom of the drain plug was almost flush with the cut out in the rocker panel. My previous car was built august 89 and this one is march 89, so it shouldn't make that much difference hopefully?

Again, not a problem as the car isn't over heating, but i do want everything to be "just so".

Quick Reply: oil thermostat position